International Child Custody

USExpatMom

Registered
Hi,

I gave birth to my son two months ago with my argentine boyfriend. Since the birth, things have been quite bad and he has threatened to take him on a number of occasions. Its gotten to the point that I don't want to be here.

I have already gotten him his US citizenship, and so I want to know what rights I have as a technically "single mother" to taking him back to the states. Argentina isn't apart of the hague countries and I wouldn't dream of "abducting" my child, but I know that we would be much better on living in the states.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an international custody lawyer? As I think I need to talk to someone asap to get all of this information in writing.

Also, keep the nasty remarks to a minimum please... I'm just looking for some help to get myself and my child out of a terrible situation.

Are you sure things won´t improve? Paternity does have a weird effect on some men, maybe things will settle? If the baby was born here and carries the father´s name you are in for some rough dispute :p Were things bad before and during pregnancy? Maybe you should talk to a counselor to get an objective opinion. Hormones go crazy for us too after giving birth...I don´t know the details but maybe the 3 of you deserve a chance? Good luckl! Sorry I can´t be of much help :(

You probably know this already, but if you want to take your child out of the country without the father being present, you have to have a letter of authorisation prepared by an escribano showing his consent. Sorry I can't be of more help, just keeping this bumped up. I wish you the best of luck.

ufff - sorry to read this. Unfortunately, the father would have to give formal consent for you to take the child out of the country and you have to present that documentation when leaving the country.

Perhaps give it some time to see if things improve? I don't know of any good international custody lawyers unfortunately. You may wish to speak to someone at the US Embassy to see if they can give you any guidance.

I can't imagine you will be allowed to leave Argentina without the father present or him giving you a formal permission. Does anybody have experience with this?

Removing a baby from her mother isn't that easy under argie law. She could be a practicing witch that authorities would always prefer the mother to a church recognized Saint.

Children under the age of 4 or 6 (can't remember exactly) will most likely stay with their mother. Fathers are never on the winning side of this issue. Been there.

There was a very able law firm on Av. Córdoba and Montevideo (?). One lady was a former Juvenile Judge and worked with another female lawyer that was extremely down to earth and smart. Extremely knowleadgeble nad competent both of them.

Wish I could remember their names. I think it sounded like Miranda... not sure. I'll check my notes.

That is only regarding your custody. Have no clue on the getting out of the country part.

Good luck.

If you have residency in Argentina (temporary or permanent), it is imposible to leave the country with your child, unless the father is with you or unless you have a letter from the public notary (signed by the father) saying you can travel alone with your child.

For kids under 14 year you need such a permission from the notary each time you leave the country. At 14 you can put 3 countries of destination in them that is valid until they are 18 and can travel on their own....

It is completely impossible to leave the country without the permission. They asks you at check in and at passport control. They check every word in the letter and are extremely strickt about it.

katti said:
If you have residency in Argentina (temporary or permanent), it is imposible to leave the country with your child, unless the father is with you or unless you have a letter from the public notary (signed by the father) saying you can travel alone with your child.

For kids under 14 year you need such a permission from the notary each time you leave the country. At 14 you can put 3 countries of destination in them that is valid until they are 18 and can travel on their own....

It is completely impossible to leave the country without the permission. They asks you at check in and at passport control. They check every word in the letter and are extremely strickt about it.

What happens if the father or mother are not residents but perm-tourists?

El chabon said:
What happens if the father or mother are not residents but perm-tourists?

I suppose that if you aren't in 'the system' this law doesn't apply to you...

They started asking us for the document as soon as they saw the (1 year) visa stamp in our passport.

katti said:
I suppose that if you aren't in 'the system' this law doesn't apply to you...

They started asking us for the document as soon as they saw the (1 year) visa stamp in our passport.

Your still the father or mother, it seems to me

I have heard stories about one of the parents living abroad but still needing to sign the permission for the mother.

Back