International Schools

weltawelta

Registered
I am a fully certified teacher (Canada) for primary/junior/intermediate grades and would like to try and get work at an international school. I have 12 years experience and additional qualification courses. Anyone know of openings or have ideas other than cold calling? I have no connections in the education field here, but would love to find a job so I can stay here longer.

American school: The Lincoln School... northern suburbs

English school: St. George's/ San Jorge's (Anglican... I think that there are two locations)... Quilmes (south) & maybe northern suburbs

Scottish school: St. Andrew's/ San Andrea's (Presbyterian)... San Isidro/northern suburbs

PS- They just started a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt that there are any openings. However, if there are, then they are totally desparate. I would recommend cold calling.

Be aware that the classes already started, and it would be good if you let the school know about your visa situation.

I think you are over rated for this, but the Municipalidad de Buenos Aires has a plan by which English language is mandatory at public schools, so there is a huge demand of English teachers there.

There are English teachers in this forum that will provide better advice. Have some patience!!!

Napoleon said:
American school: The Lincoln School... northern suburbs

English school: St. George's/ San Jorge's (Anglican... I think that there are two locations)... Quilmes (south) & maybe northern suburbs

Scottish school: St. Andrew's/ San Andrea's (Presbyterian)... San Isidro/northern suburbs

PS- They just started a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt that there are any openings. However, if there are, then they are totally desparate. I would recommend cold calling.

San Jorge is in Quilmes/south of BA, and has a (smaller) division in the north.
I don't know about the other schools, but religion here is not important, as 98% is catholic. Their are no church services.
As for as I know all the teachers (if not Argentine) are from the UK/Australia/New Zealand/Ireland. No Americans or Canadians (don't know if that is coincidence or on purpose).

Good luck in your search.

weltawelta said:
I am a fully certified teacher (Canada) for primary/junior/intermediate grades and would like to try and get work at an international school. I have 12 years experience and additional qualification courses. Anyone know of openings or have ideas other than cold calling? I have no connections in the education field here, but would love to find a job so I can stay here longer.

It`s probably worth noting that whilst your native English skills and experience will be in high demand at school level, you will need to have at least basic Spanish as you cant teach kids simply by talking at them. I take it you have considered that.

fifs2 said:
It`s probably worth noting that whilst your native English skills and experience will be in high demand at school level, you will need to have at least basic Spanish as you cant teach kids simply by talking at them. I take it you have considered that.

Actually, that's not really true. At least not when teaching a foreign language. Virtually every foreign language I've ever taken has had classes that were ALL in the foreign language. And that's the way we have been taught to teach English as well. So there's that.

Napoleon said:
Actually, that's not really true. At least not when teaching a foreign language. Virtually every foreign language I've ever taken has had classes that were ALL in the foreign language. And that's the way we have been taught to teach English as well. So there's that.

That`s why I mentioned kids Napolean and why you dont find local private schools filled with TEFL teachers..adult classes are nearly always native speakers but kids, especially primary kids need to have bilingual support.

My skills in Spanish are basic, but improving. I was, however, looking more at an American school where expats kids go. Not going to hold my breath though.

fifs2 said:
That`s why I mentioned kids Napolean and why you dont find local private schools filled with TEFL teachers..adult classes are nearly always native speakers but kids, especially primary kids need to have bilingual support.
Yes, I liked having things in English, but...

My French classes in high school were ALL in French. Even French 1 my freshman year.

When I was really small (kindergarten through 4th grade), we had French about 15 minutes once or twice a week and that was all in French.

In 7th & 8th grade we took Latin, but that was bilingual because... it HAD to be.

But French 1, German 1, Spanish 1, and Italian 1 were all taught 100% in those languages. But then again, I went to a private school and so you can't compare it to... oh, wait a minute.

Back