Internet on mobile phone?

kianahaeri

Registered
Hey Guys,
I will be moving to BA next Wednesday. Quite excited and a bit nervous, as this will be my first expat experience.
How does the internet works on mobile phone? Can I get internet on a pay-as-you-go plan?
thanks!

I am posting what I just posted in a similar thread at http://baexpats.org/expat-life/13842-sim-cards.html

I can only tell you about the offers of personal telecom:
1.) 19AR$ for 7 days of data (2GB cap)
2.) 15AR$ for 7 days of data (25MB cap) + 100 minutes (to personal and to landlines) + 100 text messages to any networks.

They can be activated via their website or by texting a special code to the number 152 ("ACT IM7" is the code for the first one).

Sometimes it works good, sometimes it works bad (slow, interruptions)

Here you see the bands that your phone needs to have: http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=ARGENTINA
If you plan using data, having the 3G bands too is important, otherwise it is terribly slow (like the first iPhone for example).

kianahaeri said:
Hey Guys,
I will be moving to BA next Wednesday. Quite excited and a bit nervous, as this will be my first expat experience.
How does the internet works on mobile phone? Can I get internet on a pay-as-you-go plan?
thanks!

Personal - Planes & Packs

You have a Plan Pack Internet for your Computer-Laptop or Netbook (be aware you will need to buy a USB modem for this pack, around 50$US dollars from the same provider in this case, Personal)

Pack Costo Final Tráfico de Datos Incluidos
1 día $10 Hasta 1Gb *
2 días $19 Hasta 2Gb*
7 días $59 Hasta 3Gb*

and other Plan Pack is for your Mobile phone

Packs para líneas con Tarjeta

Pack Duración Costo Final
1M 7 días $ 5
3M 7 días $ 10
10M 7 días $ 15

1 Fin de Semana Sábado y domingo $ 9

1 día 1 día o hasta alcanzar 2 Gb de consumo $7
2 días 2 días o hasta alcanzar 2 Gb de consumo $9
7 días 7 días o hasta alcanzar 2 Gb de consumo $19

I have a question here myself - until I have my DNI I guess I am stuck with my prepaid movistar sim in my mobile - IS there such a thing as a cheap/good value data package I can get to go with my movistar number ? I have put in the movistar internet settings and I have Internet - but it chews through my recharge very quickly - so its just not worth it - so for the moment I am stuck with using apndroid to block apn internet access and only allow wifi based internet - which is great for when I am in an internet cafe or home in the apartment - but now what I need is a data option as well that won't wipe out my call credit...

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks in advance,

John.

Do you know any other options for things that can be activated like the "ACT IM7" code?

Johnno said:
I have a question here myself - until I have my DNI I guess I am stuck with my prepaid movistar sim in my mobile - IS there such a thing as a cheap/good value data package I can get to go with my movistar number ? I have put in the movistar internet settings and I have Internet - but it chews through my recharge very quickly - so its just not worth it - so for the moment I am stuck with using apndroid to block apn internet access and only allow wifi based internet - which is great for when I am in an internet cafe or home in the apartment - but now what I need is a data option as well that won't wipe out my call credit...

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks in advance,

John.

http://www.movistar.com.ar/planes/prepago/paquetes/

$10 for 1 GB of data over two days.

Back