IPAD: 3,399 in Argentina

dennisr

Registered
Absolutely vulgar the taxing/prices of computers in this country. They make it cost prohibitive for most to afford a damn computer in Argentina. Welcome to the 21st century Argentina: computer illiteracy.
IPAD in Argentina: from 3399 pesos

"That is the value entry model to the tablet company created by Steve Jobs (IPAD 16 GB Wi-Fi only). The top version (3G + Wi-Fi 64GB) costs $ 5,499"

http://www.impulsonegocios.com/contenidos/2010/09/15/Editorial_8956.php

Desktop systems are generally cheaper here than in the US & Europe, due to broadly comparable component prices, and much lower build costs.

Laptops are pricey though, and anything made by apple is pretty much a luxury item.

Wow, JP, is that true? I was thinking about getting a small desktop PC in the states and bringing it back for a friend of mine. Where can I get these cheaper desktops with comparable components?

Coco said:
Wow, JP, is that true? I was thinking about getting a small desktop PC in the states and bringing it back for a friend of mine. Where can I get these cheaper desktops with comparable components?

I agree with JP except when buying LCD monitors.

There is a Galleria with about 50 tech shops on Florida between Lavalle and Viamonte. It is on the right if you are walking towards Cordoba that have what you are looking for. They usually have their monthly specials listed in the their windows with the prices.

I am sure that you can find things even cheaper on mercadolibre.com.ar

Hope this helps.

John

Coco said:

I used a place called MH multihard, but there are millions of pretty much identical computers stores. Galeria Jardin on florida has zillions of stores all in one place. If you're technically minded you can buy all the parts and build it yourself, which is even cheaper but if not the cost of getting someone to build you a custom machine is pretty low. As with lots of things in argentina - anything imported has a surcharge, but the cost of labour is rock bottom. LCD screens are expensive - but they're preassembled, imported electronics. No way getting round that unfortunately, although at least once you have it, it keeps its resale value. Whilst electronics are expensive here, the resale value is a lot higher here than in the US or Europe.

They probably aren't the best or the cheapest company - but the PC I had built has done me well and I needed something fairly specific. Would have cost me a lot more to have it built back in the UK. Here's the website for guideline prices:
http://www.mhmultihard.com.ar/

Mercadolibre is probably the best bet for finding the lowest prices going.

dennisr said:
Absolutely vulgar the taxing/prices of computers in this country. They make it cost prohibitive for most to afford a damn computer in Argentina. Welcome to the 21st century Argentina: computer illiteracy.
IPAD in Argentina: from 3399 pesos

"That is the value entry model to the tablet company created by Steve Jobs (IPAD 16 GB Wi-Fi only). The top version (3G + Wi-Fi 64GB) costs $ 5,499"

http://www.impulsonegocios.com/contenidos/2010/09/15/Editorial_8956.php

I stand corrected: Desktops. Once again, "my mouth has overloaded my ass."

With a large portion of the country working 'en negro,' expensive social programs (health care, education, etc), and taxing system that seems to be ignored when possible, the import tax on technology, cars, etc is basically a type of consumption tax.

I'm not sure what others ways the Argentine government could collect...that being said, I kind of like owning a used car that doesn't depreciate so much.

My $0.02

I am in France right now,and electronics seems to be more expensive than in Argentina. To buy DVD-R for less than 1 Euro a piece you need to buy them through the Internet! Of course the States is cheaper, but maybe, just maybe, Argentina could be cheaper than Europe on TVs and computers.

Back