iPhone Game Programmer Needed

A&A

Registered
Hey there, I have an iPhone app game that I am developing and I am looking for someone who can program/animate it.

I already have someone working on and almost finished with the design/screenshots/artwork. We need someone that can make the game "work" so to speak.

I am not super fluent in all the necessary skills but after discussing with some knowledgeable friends they said that I would need someone that is "fluent" in the following:

[FONT=&quot]-professional programming experience (Strong knowledge C/C++).[/FONT]·-[FONT=&quot]Knowledgeable in 3D rendering algorithms (Strong 3D math skills).[/FONT]

- [FONT=&quot]Experienced in 3D graphics engine programming in games (Strong OpenGL skills).[/FONT]

Also able capable of using Adobe Flash CS 5

I am looking for someone that has done this before. It is a pretty simple game concept, I think, but i am not a programmer.

Please PM if you do this kind of thing or know someone.

Yes, we can discuss budget and so forth once we both figure out if you can do the job. Thanks.

FWIW, The standard development language for iPhone (iOS devices) is Apple's Objective-C/Xcode, which is a rather difficult environment to learn for developers moving into mobile coding.

But there some alternatives to Objective-C now, and a very good one is Corona (http://www.anscamobile.com/), which is targetting game developers, it is very easy to learn and also optimized for fast gaming. It uses a language called "Lua" which was developed in Brazil. Another great benefit of Corona is that is cross-platform. Meaning your game app can also be compiled for the fast-growing Android market using the same codebase. If you check their site's "Community" > "Studios" section you will see a list of developers you can hire or at least request pricing for comparison.

Knowledge of Flash is kinda useless for iPhone dev as iOS does not support Flash. Adobe has a Flash to iPhone packager product, but it is beta level, overbloated, and they have not updated it in a long time.

Word of advice; a bad developer can kill your app and any chances of making it being succesful. Try to pick an experienced developer, even if it costs you lots more.

good luck! :rolleyes:

I have a little game company and we released a 3D game for the iPhone. We built the game using Unity3D. For us to bring the game to market required a team of 4 people.

We did pretty well with the app, got some press (landing in the WSJ twice) and ended up breaking even, though we didn't get rich.

Anyhow, I give you this background to serve as a caution for using 3D.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't use 3D. The value 3D adds for an indy developer building on a shoe string budget is negligible. In fact, it may well distract you from the main mission of developing your game, which is - play. Is it fun and addictive?

Additionally, the increased file size pretty much guarantees that someone will have to be connected to wifi in order to download your game. Unless you have a network of games to cross-promote your game this becomes an issue and impacts your sales.

For an alternative gaming engine for the iPhone you may want to look into Cocos2D. It's an open source gaming engine, and if I'm not mistaken it actually began in Buenos Aires. I'm not connected to the iDev development community here, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get connected if you use Cocos as a starting point.

Back