Is anyone going to Colonia anytime soon?

Paola_Briceno

Registered
I have to leave BA before July 2nd........ I was told to go to Colonia for a day, which I will be doing but dreading going alone :( If anyone needs leave or wants to take a one trip, let me know!! male or female I am a 33 y/o female from Miami.

If anyone has any tips for me regarding Colonia, pls post!!! THANKS A MILLION

It's been talked about on this forum many times... it seems that these days, the safest and most economical thing to do is to just pay the overstay fee when you leave and not bother with Colonia trips. ;)

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but unless you need an "up to date" visa for some reason (ie getting married), then my suggestion would be to just stay here.

Are there any other worthwhile day trips (that would give us a new entry stamp) other than Colonia (so bored one time I went)?

really? I wont get in trouble? I'm planing to stay for a year or so and I dont want to have an outrageous overstay fee!

Thank you for your reply!!

@sgarlow, Colonia is boring? can i come straight back to ba? or do i have to wait 24 hours?

i agree with Eclair. don't go and come back. it just puts you on the radar and fills your passport with stamps.
just pay when you leave and you will be fine. you can search previous threads that say the same thing.
good luck.

Hi Paola

Sorry I can't offer to go with you, but I went myself as recently as 2 weeks ago so hopefully can give you the heads up.

I'm always wary of the 'stay here and pay the fine' argument for 2 reasons:

1. What if there's a massive overnight hike in the fine? Payable in USD? It's more than possible from this government.

2. Colonia is a wonderful, relaxing day out. Personally I'd rather pay more and get something out of it than just push 300 pesos down a hole.

Anyway, there's really no need to dread going to Colonia (unless, of course, you have special reasons for that). I'd suggest buying your ticket before the day of travel, that way you're at least sure of what time you're sailing, and you know the layout of the terminal etc. Once you're in Colonia, you don't really need to change your Arg pesos to Uru ones, as most (emphasis on 'most') restaurants and bars will accept your Arg money at 3 Uru to 1 Arg. Just ask before you order anything. Besides, there's a change office that you can't miss if you're walking into the historic part (just follow everybody else!) and again that's 3 to 1. On the same road there's a very helpful tourist office, who'll give you a free map and lots of advice.

Colonia is, quite simply, beautiful and well worth a day out in its own right. It's relaxing and the perfect antidote to BsAs life. Everybody's a tourist, so you can freely walk around with your map and camera. In fact, you can yell out 'Yo soy turista y tengo mucho dinero' and probably nobody would take any notice (that's tongue in cheek btw ;-).

I was there for ten hours (albeit with a friend) and didn't get bored once. If I'd been alone though, I'd still have been happy with 5/6 hours. Take a book, and enjoy the day.

I hope this helps. If you have any particular concerns, feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to help.

Best
Gary

I had a lovely day in Colonia, though I did drink too much at lunch, fall asleep on the beach and loose my mobile phone.

I even got a sun tan on 5th August !

Back