Is it normal for Argentinians to tease gringos about their Spanish accent?

Or am I just around particularly mean people?

I would say just tell them to f off in the nicest way possible, even though they may not be doing it to offend. I worked with a Chilean woman in the States and a relative of her husband would always makes fun of/mock her accent when she spoke English. She never liked it and finally got fed up enough to say something. The relative said she felt really bad and that she meant no offense. In fact, she thought my Chilean's co-worker's accent was charming and that's why she imitated it. So you never quite know why folks do that kind of thing Having said all that, if it bothers you, say something.

I have one friend here who always imitates my accent, even though I have said something to him. I am really surprised that I don't get that more, not because Argentinians are cruel people, but because human beings in general often look for and exploit weakness or difference. I find most folks here to be very tolerate of foreign accents, including mine.

I would say just tell them to f off in the nicest way possible, even though they may not be doing it to offend. I worked with a Chilean woman in the States and a relative of her husband would always makes fun of/mock her accent when she spoke English. She never liked it and finally got fed up enough to say something. The relative said she felt really bad and that she meant no offense. In fact, she thought my Chilean's co-worker's accent was charming and that's why she imitated it. So you never quite know why folks do that kind of thing Having said all that, if it bothers you, say something.

I have one friend here who always imitates my accent, even though I have said something to him. I am really surprised that I don't get that more, not because Argentinians are cruel people, but because human beings in general often look for and exploit weakness or difference. I find most folks here to be very tolerate of foreign accents, including mine.
I think accents are cute :)

Me, too. It never bothers me when people hear my foreign accent and my non-native spanish and ask me where I am from. I shouldn't sound like an Argentine, because I ain't one.

Speaking from personal observation, it's also common for Argentinos to berate their countrymen about poor English skills, not recognizing their own lack of ability. As nikad said, it's (at least somewhat) humor/culture.

Thank you :) My other half is always trying to get me to say Cunningtons, Hurlingham, Monroe and the like because I just can't pronounce them like an Argentine and she thinks that's cute too.

The Lunfardo speaker I mentioned in the other thread was her late father. I think he liked me as a person but never accepted my relationship with his daughter and I think he did things like that to deliberately confuse me.

I'd say don't take it personal. It sounds cute and they don't mean to offend you.

Back