Is Mayor Macri Improving The Lives Of Porteños?

Is Mayor Macri Improving The Lives Of Porteños?

• Yes

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters

PhilipDT

Registered
I thought this would be a fun companion to the other thread.

I've only been in Argentina since 2009, so my whole time in Buenos Aires has been during macri's two terms (and Christina's), so I can't compare with Ibarra or anyone else. But it does seem like I've noticed quite a bit of real noticeable changes in the city.

For one I think charging for the plastic bags, and having them colored for recyclables and trash is a great idea. The trash bins that are in my new neighborhood (but not my old one) translate into completely trash free streets. The bike paths with physical barriers to keep the cars on one side (although I've noticed some moto's driving down the bike lanes :( ) are awesome, the commuter bike program is pretty cool although not that useful to me for where I go.

Also the parks and public spaces look better every day, I went by park 1 de mayo in congreso the other day and it was clean and filled with grass instead of dirt and trash. And the new little plaza between rivadavia and the start of hipolito irygoyen is big improvement.

On the other hand I think that his stance on Abortion is terrible. I wish he'd do more about the crime problem although I understand that the city government isn't actually in charge of the police although I don't really understand why they're not?

Yes, without question.

From the Bike Paths & Rent-A-Bike program to the Metrovias, to the improved subways, to Playas en los Parques, to Peliculas en el Parque, to the added police, to the massive trash bins, to opposing CFK...

Thank goodness for Macri. He might not be perfect, but most major obras that he's TRYING to do help the lives of the people who live here.

macro.jpg

108g0ua.jpg

28b8rat.jpg

Compared to what? Next to Cristina, just about anybody looks good, but the enduring problem of Argentine politics is hyper-personalization, of which Macri is only somewhat less guilty. When we no longer hear of Kirchnerismo, Cristinismo, Macrismo and of course Peronismo, Argentina will have finally arrived as a country. I don't expect any such development in my own lifetime, though.

The man has had the largest budget in the city's history, and has managed to triple the city's debt. And what have the results been? Well Phil is right: bike paths, the metro bus, and cleaner parks (in select areas).

These are good things, but I tend to think of the things he has utterly defunded like public schools, public hospitals, closing the Bordo, building the smallest amount of Subway of any mayor whilst trebling the price.

For expats in recoleta or palermo Macri doesn't look half bad, but if you're a working class family in Bajo Flores or Lugano, all you've seen is your ABL go through the roof in exchange for less services for your kids and crumbling hospitals and infrastructure.

This is the first time in history that the city is going into bankruptcy and he doesn t pay anybody so, where is the money?
I represent translators who works for the city justice, I advices them to refuse to work because instead of paying them, he appeals and appeals because to go to Supreme Court doesn t make sense for claiming fees of 1000 up to 3000 pesos (the deposit to avoid reckless claims is 4000 pesos plus lawyers fees %no less than 10.000). By the way, according to the law he cannot appeal.
He also lost 30% of school teachers because he doesn t pay and what he pays is too low.
So, bicisendas? trash containers? Come on!

the ABL went up almost 300%!!!

and remember the CABA is (BY FAR!!!) the richest district of this country, that even in 2001 didnt went on bankruptcy, so he did have economic resources besides the abl.

Some of the CABA problems like flooding and traffic are 100 years old, or the villas, don't expect them to go away any time soon, as well as insecurity. If Filmus had been elected we would hear only good things ..!!
Bty what happened to Magneto and Clarin the roots of all evil?

Back