Is Oprah On?

nledec

Registered
Is there any channel that has the Oprah show down here?

I once was telling a story about something i had seen on oprah to some argentines and they hadn't a clue what i was taking about!

I don't think she exists down here! (which is shocking as i had assumed that everyone in the world knew who oprah was!)

I'm not from the U.S and yet she is such a part of my sick at home from school/unemployed days!

Katser said:
I once was telling a story about something i had seen on oprah to some argentines and they hadn't a clue what i was taking about!

I don't think she exists down here! (which is shocking as i had assumed that everyone in the world knew who oprah was!)

I'm not from the U.S and yet she is such a part of my sick at home from school/unemployed days!

No, she isn't know here and it's not shocking at all, only the English speaking world knows her...nothing in common here to be relevant or of interest popular.

Lucas said:
No, she isn't know here and it's not shocking at all, only the English speaking world knows her...nothing in common here to be relevant or of interest popular.

I have many European friends who are well aware of who she is and I have read that the show is actually available in over 100 countries in the world which i assume can't all be english speaking.

As i am bored I went and found the link: http://www.oprah.com/pressroom/Global-Distribution-List-of-The-Oprah-Winfrey-Show

Katser said:
I have many European friends who are well aware of who she is and I have read that the show is actually available in over 100 countries in the world which i assume can't all be english speaking.

As i am bored I went and found the link: http://www.oprah.com/pressroom/Global-Distribution-List-of-The-Oprah-Winfrey-Show

The majority of those non speaking English countries they mentioned, BTW in the own "Oprah show website" means that what they have is a cable/satellite signal network dedicated to the English speaking community working/holidaying/residing in these countries, the signal is "NOT" a free to air broadcast and its NOT on a Pay TV network signal to be available to the general public but as a special networking facilities to broadcast the signal directly to hotels, clubs and such venues, to clear things up I repeat, there is not signal broadcasting to the general public at all. They will not tell you that in detail so when you see that list you will exclaim WOW!! all those countries watch her program? you will think she is viewed worldwide by each member of the population on all those non English speaking countries but the reality is quite different and frankly in my view a trick to pump up marketing misinformation at its worst or at least deceiving....but hey, marketing is marketing.

There you go too.....she "IS" a worldwide personality if we "apply" the same criteria here as Oprah Show, the only problem you see, she is only on pay Spanish TV speaking channels and as an extra option for view as you pay no what you can call a worldwide celebrity know to all the world and no one will broadcast her show in "any" free to air TV channels...same principle, same outcome.

Maybe she should list in her website as Oprah does all the countries her program sell and no one watch after a while that will make a WOW! impact.

I am not going to get into an argument with you about ‘free to air‘. I originally posted something that I thought the OP might find vaguely interesting (that Oprah isn’t known here) and then I made a some what joking/slightly exaggerated claim that I was ‘shocked as I thought every one in the world knew who oprah was)

Now I am an extensively traveled person and have met many people of many nationalities in their home countries and in mine. All of those whose native languages are not English (that the topic has come up in conversation with) have known who oprah is.

Did you really think I am so uneducated as to think that EVERY person in the entire world knows who oprah is? That is ridiculous.

I am so sick of how pedantic this board has become. It is difficult to get the subtleties of language across on a forum but a little bit of hyperbole (a favourite device of Irish people like myself) should be obvious to most people.

Katser, you'll have to excuse Lucas.

As I've come to discover in this forum, logic is not one of his strong suits..

Back