Is Speaking Spanish A Necessity?

McIlvar

Registered
Hi guys,

I’m new so I apologise if this is a stupid question!

My company in Britain are looking to relocate me to the Campana area near Buenos Aires for a year, it only problem is that I don’t speak a word of Spanish. My company assures me that English will be spoken within the workplace of my office as is their policy as many non- Argentinians work there. My accommodation and visa will be provided for.

What I’m wanting to know if it is tough to survive outside work if I don’t know the language? Of course I will try to learn basic phrases but doubt if I would be able to learn anything of substance in the short time I will be there.

Thanks!

Absolutely yes!

Even in Capital Federal most of the homies dont speak a word english, so in Campana it'll be even worse.
I'd highly recommend that you take an intensive course to give it a kick start.

Cheers

In a year, you can learn a lot. You probably already know more Spanish than you think you do.

If you want a life outside work , you will need Spanish.

But I would also imagine you would be more productive in work if you could speak Spanish. Its fine having a speak English rule in the office but the Argentine nationals will revert to Spanish from time to time and if you don't understand them , you will miss out on what is really happening around you.

Now would be a good time for you to pick up a copy of Rosetta Stone...

I picture Campana as a small town community. Without spanish you will certainly stick out like a sore thumb. Anyways, most people will have a friendly attitude.
Depending on your age and accomodations that might make you a potential victim for petty crime. A brit accent is not something easily ignored.

BUT,if you're young and the money is good I say go for it.
Money is important, get the right balance of funny argie money - for living expenses and taxes- and USD bills -not in bank accounts. Would advise against european currency since there's small interest on those. Easier to trade USD almost anywhere here.

I work for a multi-national here so if its anything like my office you will probably find even the Argentines, most of them will speak a lower intermediate level of english, so you will be able to communicate on a basic level with them in english. You will probably have then have a few that speak really well and a few that dont speak much at all.

In terms of a social life, I wouldnt worry too much. I am sure you will find expats in your office you can hang out with them and if its a small place like Iznogud said the people will probs be friendlier.

What I did and what perhaps could work for you is: how about coming down here to BA (if possible & the office will allow it) for a couple of months before you start work, settling in and spending some time studying spanish? Then, once you get in to the office if there are Argentines in there you will learn fast. After 6 months here, I was pretty comfortable and could have basic convos with my colleagues and they could usually make sense (I think) of the dribble I was sprouting :p Now, 20 months on I dont speak english at all, except to my sole Australian mate, clients where its required and the odd colleague who wants to practice their english, learn words etc. I do have an Argentine gf so that may have been advantage but I swear I am definitely not a natural for languages.

Anyhoo, I will stop babbling but to summarise, at first it may be tricky but you will be fine outside of work. If you walk away with some spanish I think it would be well worth the challenge.

You'll be fine, my spanish is laughable. Most people have some english, we work it out.
Nancy

Campana is small and is the province. People will try to accommodate you a lot even without you speaking Spanish.However don't make the mistake of expecting people to speak it .It generally goes down badly .If you keep with the attitude of no spanish my bad you will find people accomodating . Campana is lovely but do make expat friends . Families are more closely knit here and you may find that while you get invited for an asado, you won't very easily be included in the complete social scene . I could be wrong but better be forearmed . Good luck .

Back