Is the best import simply USD?

LostinBA

Registered
Folks here talk about bringing things in to sell at a profit, mostly electronics. It seems to me at least that importing USD would provide the best return at the least risk that one could find. It's an quick 35-45% return at blue current rates and it's completely liquid. Does that make sense?

LostinBA said:
Folks here talk about bringing things in to sell at a profit, mostly electronics. It seems to me at least that importing USD would provide the best return at the least risk that one could find. It's an quick 35-45% return at blue current rates and it's completely liquid. Does that make sense?
yes! your right....

Yes and no. The fact remains that some items are very hard to come by even if you have the dollars to pay for them.
If you could cater to a specific market and become the goto guy then you have it made.

For practical purposes ad very short term I must agree with you. If you want to run a biz, look for something where you can excel.

Iznogud said:
Yes and no. The fact remains that some items are very hard to come by even if you have the dollars to pay for them.
If you could cater to a specific market and become the goto guy then you have it made.

For practical purposes ad very short term I must agree with you. If you want to run a biz, look for something where you can excel.

I agree that the things that are hard to come by command a premium here but you've got to buy and then sell those things (not including the risk with customs) to convert the goods back to USD. Seems to me that selling USD would be easier than anything else. I can't see the rate dropping anytime soon and since bringing in 10K or less is legal to bring in without declaring...anything over that would be a risk but...maybe I'm just stating the obvious.

You should restrict the number of contacts and pick them wisely for security reasons.
I would STFU right now if I were to move ahead with this.

Need to know basis only, not a public board. Just sayin'

Just realized that my logic is flawed. Selling USD for the blue rate would give you more pesos (ie. a 35-40% more) when you use those newly bought pesos here but doesn't really translate into a profit. To make a profit, you would have to convert those pesos back to USD at the "official" rate which is practically impossible. So it's not a bad idea for the effective discount on the cost of living but there's no profit there.

It's only useful if you need the local funny money to fuel your staying/lifestyle while residing here. Otherwise is converting good currency into... don't get me started :eek:

LostinBA said:
Just realized that my logic is flawed. Selling USD for the blue rate would give you more pesos (ie. a 35-40% more) when you use those newly bought pesos here but doesn't really translate into a profit. To make a profit, you would have to convert those pesos back to USD at the "official" rate which is practically impossible. So it's not a bad idea for the effective discount on the cost of living but there's no profit there.
Posted it on another thread but got no reply. Since Argentina is the largest gold producer of gold in S America, is it possible to buy it for pesos?

If you can fit a clothes dryer in your suitcase, you'd be golden!

Back