Is The Piropo A Dying Art ?

D.B. Cooper

Registered
[background=#fcfcfc]A Brazilian coach was recently kicked off the field for making a piropo. [/background]

[background=#fcfcfc]http://www.clarin.co...1122487944.html[/background]

Today everybody is too busy texting on their cells. They miss out on Mother Nature's handiwork.

A piropo is a flirtatious, admiring compliment in Spanish, they thrive on the streets of Latin America, and while some may consider them annoying or even verbal assault, others consider them an art form. As a verb, you can say echar un piropo or piropear. Yes, piropos often have the reputation of just being sleazy pickup lines. They don’t have to be, though; they can be an amorous compliment y ya, nada más y nada menos.

http://www.auctiva.c...ormat=0&lgdin=1

No, certainly not in the milongas of Buenos Aires. I welcome them, whether I'm walking around the city or dancing tango.

I think young portenos learn the skill from their fathers. A man is never too young or too old to convey a compliment to a woman.

A new milonga called PIROPOS opened last month. The art of the piropo is alive and well in the milongas.

The editor of BA Tango Buenos Aires Tango magazine publishes piropos submitted by the women who receive and enjoy them.

No, certainly not in the milongas of Buenos Aires. I welcome them, whether I'm walking around the city or dancing tango.

I think young portenos learn the skill from their fathers. A man is never too young or too old to convey a compliment to a woman.

It's just that I don't see it in the streets anymore as much as I used to. In NYC that would get you a cruel retort, a slap on the face or a trip to the police station.

I've received many piropos from portenos in my 15 years in Buenos Aires, and not one of them was crude.

Women cringe when walking past a construction site in an American city because they expect a worker to yell a crude comment their way. That doesn't happen here in BsAs.

It's important to remember that life & youth are fleeting.
Enjoy it for what is it, a compliment on yourself.
What the luck of the gene pool has rewarded you with.
Before you know it,...It will all end in then blink of an eye.
You will be old & gray & nobody will give you the time of day.

Really? How good is your Spanish? I've really found so many comments offensive (as in I'd like to f**k you type) especially when walking my young kids. Our previous office was beside a school (colegio nacional de Bsas) and I was shocked at 60+ year old guys letching and yelling at young girls like they had no idea how inappropriate they were being. I love a good compliment like the rest and and always respond with a smile but some Bsas catcalling is so aggressive and deserves the subtlety that the Spanish, Italians or Greeks add to the mix.

Women's National Campaign to stop verbal harassment Piropos in the streets of BA

Mamita si te agarro te hago otro Hijo....!!

Mommy, if I catch you I'll make you pregnant with child . " With phrases of this kind printed thousands of posters that are scattered in the most visible places in different cities of Argentina and other countries, launched the campaign yesterday ended last Sunday " on a street free from harassment . "

A group of women organized in Cordoba and Buenos Aires street launched a poster campaign against the compliment , at the International Week Against Street Harassment , to put the issue in debate. "If you bother to read it , imagine listening " is the slogan of the graph provocative harassment that from the street, invited the company to get into the skin of any woman who supports all kinds of comments from strangers.

" The hood and headphones are their coat every day ," says a poster that draws attention to how street harassment affects the dress of women and girls ; while another shows how this same type of attacks are forced to change its route or fear driving on the streets alone .

http://www.infonews.com/2014/04/14/sociedad-139475-campana-contra-el-acoso-callejero-cuando-el-piropo-incomoda-y-ofende.php

Really? How good is your Spanish? I've really found so many comments offensive (as in I'd like to f**k you type) especially when walking my young kids. Our previous office was beside a school (colegio nacional de Bsas) and I was shocked at 60+ year old guys letching and yelling at young girls like they had no idea how inappropriate they were being. I love a good compliment like the rest and and always respond with a smile but some Bsas catcalling is so aggressive and deserves the subtlety that the Spanish, Italians or Greeks add to the mix.

Could it be that Young women object to Piropos and consider it as verbal harassment....¿

Mommy, if I catch you I'll give you another child . "

Back