Is The Reciprocal Fee Us$300 Now?! (Need Help Today)

Napoleon

Registered
I'm trying to help my sister get her reciprocal fee form because she flies here tonight and we can't figure out the reciprocal fee form.

It seems to be US$300 now. Is that true?

HELP!!

I'm trying to help my sister get her reciprocal fee form because she flies here tonight and we can't figure out the reciprocal fee form.

It seems to be US$300 now. Is that true?

HELP!!

The retaliation fee is tied to the cost of a US visa for Argentines, which is still US$160 according to the consulate in NYC: http://cnyor.mrecic.gov.ar/en/node/1759

Thanks,

I told my sister to figure it out on Sunday and then Monday and then Tuesday and then today she tells me that she can't figure it out.

S#*tting Bricks!

So then I'm trying to do it with an Argentine friend and we're getting one service that wants to charge US$300 for a meeting at a consulate. Then another service that will charge US$20 to do the process and another US$5 for it to be done immediately and blah-blah-blah...

SIDE NOTE: No matter how many times you tell people about the 3rd World, they don't really expect things to be incomprehensible.

SIDE NOTE 2: To go to Martinez today, instead of my usual Subte to Juramento and then walk to Belgrano C and a train, I went:

Subte to Juramento
Bus down to Belgrano C
Paid for Train... but there was an interruption due to an accident between Belgrano & Retiro, so after waiting 20-25 mins...
Walk/Run to Libertador
Bus to Olivos
Walk to Olivos Train Station
Taxi up to Martinez

As I told a couple of American amigas back in 2007...

"Sometimes the 3rd World isn't all it's cracked up to be."

SUMMARY: Somehow, after doing the same thing about 3 times, I clicked a different link and started a new "page" or something and was offered an opportunity to pay a US$160 fee with my credit card to get my sister's visa thing. Then I "printed" it to a PDF. Then sent her the PDF.

If CFK could just hire ONE PERSON who could speak English, this country would make soooooo much more money.

Hiring people who could program properly (I was being helped by an Argentine who has a programming company) wouldn't hurt either. (My friend had no clue what the site was asking for.)

/rant

I remember paying 300 pesos for overstay - but that was long ago. Might have been misinformation.

Wait I didn't know about this. Since when is this rule in place? I'm going to arrive in Argentina this month.
I was there last in 2010 (I lived there for a year before). I remember having to pay some big fee at Ezeiza when I arrived and they put a stamp on my (now expired) passport. That was going to be valid for 10 years I think. Is that worth nothing now? Is this rule newer, and different?
Thanks.

Wait I didn't know about this. Since when is this rule in place? I'm going to arrive in Argentina this month.
I was there last in 2010 (I lived there for a year before). I remember having to pay some big fee at Ezeiza when I arrived and they put a stamp on my (now expired) passport. That was going to be valid for 10 years I think. Is that worth nothing now? Is this rule newer, and different?
Thanks.

In theory, that stamp in your expired passport is still valid.

You're supposed to bring that expired passport and your current one and everything is supposed to be ok.

In actuality, I had a difficult time with American Airlines employees as I tried to check in when departing from the US all three times in 2013 and maybe the last time in 2012 (though not sure on this one), because AA employees didn't know what the original sticker was for. There wasn't a price on it that matched the current reciprocal fee, so they didn't know what to make of it.

After explaining that the ink didn't magically change to reflect the current reciprocal fee price, I usually had to go to Business/First Class check-in just to find an employee who knew anything.

Even with both passports in hand, you're going to have trouble with ignorant airline workers who are just protecting their own butts. ("Ignorant" does not mean "dumb", but they're not mutually exclusive either.)

I would contact your airline, tell them your situation, explain that you are supposed to bring both passports, and then see what they suggest.

Otherwise, you should contact the Argentine consulate in the US and see what they say.

They have made it complicated but the link I posted above is where you need to go (someone on here found it for me in June when I was trying to explain to one of our WS how to pay). It is all done online and the person just needs to bring the printed out receipt.

And you won't have any problem with the sticker but you do need to bring your previous passport that shows it was paid. Or at least I've never heard of any airline questioning it and we've had quite a few people fly in with that sticker and none has had problems.

The reciprocity is NOW tied to your passport. It expires when your passport does.

I went to Montevideo in July and forgot the piece of paper stating that I had paid the five year price. No problem... I thought. I will just print a new one. But I couldn't. All of my information had been erased from the system.

I had to purchase a new one. There was also no option for paying for either three months a five years.

The timeline:

December 2013-- paid fee for five year entry (was in BA for one month)

May 2014-- printed pdf again, for upcoming trip

June 2014-- passport expires, use new passport and May 2014 pdf to enter, don't have any problems

July 2014-- misplace May 2014 copy of pdf, all information is erased, pay fee again...

I am Canadian, if that is relevant.

The reciprocity is NOW tied to your passport. It expires when your passport does.

I went to Montevideo in July and forgot the piece of paper stating that I had paid the five year price. No problem... I thought. I will just print a new one. But I couldn't. All of my information had been erased from the system.

I had to purchase a new one. There was also no option for paying for either three months a five years.

The timeline:

December 2013-- paid fee for five year entry (was in BA for one month)

May 2014-- printed pdf again, for upcoming trip

June 2014-- passport expires, use new passport and May 2014 pdf to enter, don't have any problems

July 2014-- misplace May 2014 copy of pdf, all information is erased, pay fee again...

I am Canadian, if that is relevant.

For the last four years, I have been entering Argentina with my current and expired US passports, most recently last March. The expired one contains the sticker verifying that I have paid the retaliation fee.

I have never had a problem entering at Ezeiza. I had minor delays earlier this year at Cardenal Samoré (Villa La Angostura) and Los Antiguos, where the dual passports confused low level employees (new US passports carry a different number than the old one). Still, it was fairly easy to sort things out.

Back