Is there a mosquito season in BA?

Anders

Registered
Hi all

We've just been here a couple of weeks and have, especially in the last few days, been savagely attacked by that little no-good-creature called mosquito. We've got a nine month old with us, so we're a little concerned.

Do any of you experienced BAers know if there is a mosquito season and if hope in them going away soon is justified?

Also. How serious is the dengue threat?

Thanks!!
Anders

orwellian

Registered
I use to go running in the park, never got bitten by a single mosquito. And today, all the sudden, they are all over the place. I looked down and there were 4 of them busy sucking my blood on my legs. And a lot more of them were swarming around me. I guess this is like Thailand, never leave home without your mosquito repellent.

fifilafiloche

Registered
I talked about my desease concerns to a friend motoquero who hosted me in Formosa, in the far north, where dengue actually kills people. He laughed. When i said i was european and my immune system was a bit different, he laughed louder.

The risk to catch dengue in Buenos Aires is minimal. I think i read that something like 10 people caught it out of a population of more than 10 million people. You had greater risks this winter with the swine flu.

My trick to avoid moskitoes : ear plugs. They do bite me, but i still can sleep without fear of getting them buzzing into my ears.

Diskosis

Registered
Yes I have to snicker at the alarmist media panic over mosquitoes every summer, even before the Dengue business took off. If you believe the media, there is a plague of biblical proportions that descends on Buenos Aires every year, terrorising the populace and resulting in thousands of fatalities (or at least hurt feelings and general itchyness). Actually, I find the mosquito menace here pretty mild compared to back home.

Napoleon

Registered
orwellian said:
I use to go running in the park, never got bitten by a single mosquito. And today, all the sudden, they are all over the place. I looked down and there were 4 of them busy sucking my blood on my legs. And a lot more of them were swarming around me.
Something tells me that they've been reading this site recently.