Is there an affordable, secure way to ship stuff abroad from ARG?

Masha

Registered
I have been living in BA a while and I'm now taking off to travel to Brazil and then return to the United States. I accumulated enough stuff that I need to ship a large box or small suitcase home, but they only shipping services I've found (DHL, Luggage Express etc) list prices at anywhere from $400 to $500 USD! All I have is various used items such as clothing and books, but I don't want to get rid of all it.
Does anyone have ideas for affordable ways to send stuff abroad from Buenos Aires??

Perhaps people should advise about the problems with customs (Aduana) shipping even used personal items out, as opposed to personal baggage. I have not done this first-hand, but the problems with Argentinean customs people have shared with me make me shudder. You may find that selling or giving it away may be a better option.

mendozanow said:
Perhaps people should advise about the problems with customs (Aduana) shipping even used personal items out, as opposed to personal baggage. I have not done this first-hand, but the problems with Argentinean customs people have shared with me make me shudder. You may find that selling or giving it away may be a better option.

I really don't understand what you are saying? Can you elaborate?

Masha, when I went to pick up a package the the retiro post office, I also wanted to mail out a letter so I went in the other building around the corner. In there I found a couple of Americans sending off their back packs. Maybe you could go down & talk to them or check out the post office website.

The way to go :
- Use Correo Argentino, with the certificada option (keep the XX1234567AR number for tracking purposes).
- Since you´ll likely ship more than two kilos, you have to send the box from the Centro Postal Internacional located in Retiro (up to 2 kilos from any postal office).
- Bring the box unsealed because a custom agent will inspect it.

For prices, check here and look for "impreso certificado"
http://www.correoargentino.com.ar/precios/pre-i-po.php#ic

It´s safe that way

Back