Is there any advantage to me buying medical insurance there before I turn 65?

rob0001

Registered
I am moving to BA in August but in July I turn 65. I want a local policy in Argentina I think, lol.
Sometimes with insurance like medical, there is an advantage to buying it before you turn 65 like guaranteed renewals for a longer time. Is that the case with Argentine insurance?
Which medical insurance should I get in your opinion? I'm mostly interested in major medical or catastrophic coverage.
I would come earlier if I need to buy it before July.
Thanks for all your help.

I am moving to BA in August but in July I turn 65. I want a local policy in Argentina I think, lol.
Sometimes with insurance like medical, there is an advantage to buying it before you turn 65 like guaranteed renewals for a longer time. Is that the case with Argentine insurance?

Medicus does not raise their monthly fee until age 70. Something to consider when comparing different plans.
Medicus may not raise thier rates until age 70, but it is difficult to enroll after you have 64.5 years and it is very expensive ( based on a conversation with the individual who signed me up when she reinstated my policy in late 2013, less than 30 days before I would have pases the 64.5 year mark).

In 2016, at the office of OSDE in Punta Alta, I was told the same age limit applies when I inquired on behalf a 68 year old friend of mine who was considering moving here. The cheapest policy was $17,000 pesos per month and full coverage was much higher.

I'm mostly interested in major medical or catastrophic coverage.

The basic private plans require that you use only the facilities of the provider, while the higher level plans will include the choice of other faclilities/clincis/hospitals.

As far as I know, the major providers do not offer low cost plans where you pay out of pocket for office visits, x.rays, blood tests, etc. and cover only major illnesses and/or catestrophic events .
I would come earlier if I need to buy it before July.
Based on my own experience and research regarding Medicus and OSDE. if you turned 64.5 in January, it's already too late.

Perhaps you can find an Argentine provider who will enroll you at a lower rate, but if the 64.5 year rule is based on a law (like almost everything here), I seriously doubt there will be any who woud be willing to do so.

PS:It would be great if the 64.5 year limit on enrollment at lower rates is now higher, so I hope anyone who can confirm that the age limit is still 64.5 (or provide a new number if it has been changed) will do so ASAP and you will be able to adjust your travel plans accordingly.

Last edited:
It would be great if the 64.5 year limit on enrollment at lower rates is now higher, so I hope anyone who can confirm that the age limit is still 64.5 (or provide a new number if it has been changed) will do so ASAP and you will be able to adjust your travel plans accordingly.
And, if anyone knows of any major providers who will enroll someone who has more than 64.5 years and charge the lower annual rates for any period beyond the age of 65, I hope they will post that information as well.

This information may be available in the providers' websites, so I suggest anyone who is affect by this do some additonal research on their own while there still may be time to get a lower monthly rate for the next few years.

The best bet for us elderly folks is Hospital Italiano. The catch is that you must have a DNI.

The best bet for us elderly folks is Hospital Italiano. The catch is that you must have a DNI.
The individual who started this thread will have a DNI.

Can you share any information regarding the various levels of coverage and the rates as well as the age range to which they apply?

A link would be easier and faster...

The individual who started this thread will have a DNI.

Can you share any information regarding the various levels of coverage and the rates as well as the age range to which they apply?

A link would be easier and faster...
Too busy watching football! Maybe later I can break it down. Suffice to say for those over 65 Italiano is an economic choice for many. Most other companies are way more expensive. I would encourage the OP to contact them.

Suffice to say for those over 65 Italiano is an economic choice for many. Most other companies are way more expensive. I would encourage the OP to contact them.
I just checked the Hospital Italiano website. It is not possible to get a rate quote on line if you have 60 or more years.

You have to be evaluated, so yes, the OP would be well advised to contact them:

I just checked the Hospital Italiano website. It is not possible to get a rate quote on line if you have 60 or more years.

You have to be evaluated, so yes, the OP would be well advised to contact them:

Ah yes, I forgot about the eval. They want to be sure you are not days away from a major medical event.

Ah yes, I forgot about the eval. They want to be sure you are not days away from a major medical event.
More like six months away from a major medical event, at least as a result of a pre-existing conditon.

I think that's why Medicus cutoff for enrollment at the "lower" rates was six months prior to the 65th birthday.

You could still enroll after reaching 64.5, but the lower rate, which would otherwise have been effective until age 70, would never apply, while a six month "waiting period" for full coverage would.

Back