Is This A Taste Of Something New And Needed?

Noesdeayer

Registered
I read about chef and new BAExpat Dave Soady after seeing his very complete Thanksgiving Dinner menu.Interestingly enough for me he is now working at a restauant right here in my "barrio" San Telmo.I think I'll drop by there soon.The U$D 120 is about what you would pay in a NYC mid upper end restaurant.for less quantity and quality.In September I was lucky enough to be invited by brother and cousin both of whom have done financially well to 3 of Manhattan's finest restaurants.His menu appears to be on a par with theirs.Even more importantly for us here in San Telmo the resto where he works and the Thanksgiving Dinner event appear to bode well for the Argentine Government's desire to promote high end tourism in this country once again.This would generate all types of needed associated employment and economic activity.New employees in tourism only need secondary school at most,are quick learners and directly benefit our local community.A hearty welcome and the best of luck to fellow expat Dave Coady as well as many thanks for doing something really constructive for San Telmo.

Its high time ba expats organizes its own thanksgiving, christmas lunches...

best way would be to outsource it and collect money from attending expats to cover the expenses.

Would happily contribute my money and average company to an expat thanksgiving dinner

Great idea a typical TG dinner Buffet , not necessarily in 12 courses. :rolleyes:

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] Turkey • Stuffing • Mashed potatoes • Green beans • Gravy & Cranberry sauce • Warm pumpkin pie + Vanilla Ice Cream [/background]

If Foodies would like a 120 U$D meal with Sushi rolls and Boat Momos that is fine but don’t call it Thanksgiving Dinner.
Thanksgiving Dinner is Turkey, Turkey, Turkey and someone's old uncle complaining in the background about how Trump got screwed because only 20% of the people voted for him.

Pardon my ignorance but was not aware of the meaning of Foodies, so I Googled it and found that there are Many interpretations for FOODIE see below.

As Noesdeayer mentioned top restaurants in NYC may range from US$108 and up. Like Le Bernardin...! for 3 course meals. For 12 courses who knows?? BA is now first world, same prices as NYC...! :rolleyes:

http://www.urbandict...php?term=Foodie

FOODIE ; The most respectful and harmless version was ;

A person that spends a keen amount of attention and energy on knowing the ingredients of food, the proper preparation of food, and finds great enjoyment in top-notch ingredients and exemplary preparation.
A foodie is not necessarily a food snob, only enjoying delicacies and/or food items difficult to obtain and/or expensive foods; though, that is a variety of foodie.

Rich One, you could just use a legitimate dictionary...

food·ie

ˈfo͞odē/

noun
[color=#878787 !important]informal[/color]

• a person with a particular interest in food; a gourmet.
    synonyms: gourmet, epicure, gastronome, gourmand

"his father was a foodie who worked for an international magazine"

I consider myself somewhat of a foodie, though of a somewhat more common food variety, one might say, as opposed to molecular gastronomy, for example, or even high gourmet.

But yeah, to me Rich One's list of items, with maybe an addition of ham and apple pie, is pretty much a Thanksgiving dinner to me, along with Tangerine's example of the uncle :)

A friend of mine and myself used to do Thanksgiving dinners every year amongst our friends and their invitees. We'd average around 25 people, sometimes a few more, rarely less. We used to get people to bring down canned cranberries in advance, find a carniceria that could get us big birds, the whole nine yards. We even brought down a turkey frier one year and had both baked and fried turkey. I almost died of apoplexy one year when my wife's eldest sister made gravy using corn starch instead of flour, after I told her not to!! I'd always made the gravy before, and always did after that disaster...

But much like doing a Thanksgiving dinner for a big family get-together, it is very difficult work to get everything right, ready and warm on the table(s) at the same time while dealing with the eccentricities of everyone involved. Not to mention the cleanup afterward. Unfortunately, one is inviting in people, at least one or two, who one wouldn't normally have to tolerate, unlike family who everyone has to at least try to tolerate. That eccentric uncle isn't as tolerable when he's not your uncle, nor any family at all!

We gave up on our Thanksgiving dinners after some 8 years straight. This will be the second year we haven't done one since I've been here. Maybe we're aging too much and have been away from the home country too long, but we don't really miss it that much any more...

Back