It's another visa question ya'll

MichaelG

Registered
A few days ago i made a thread about overstaying my visa twice, and got attacked, some people seemed so mad they would have liked to cut my face off and wear it as a disguise, hannibal lector style

So I ended up going to colonia..was a great day..wonderfull food..sunshine..good american company..yummy

Anyway the weird thing is ----- I have about 15 entry stamps, and they all are entry stamps with like 'Turist 90 dias' over the top of them

This time the dude made a face and stamped my passport without saying nothing.. But... It's just a stamp??? Nothing about '90 dias' ?????

What does this mean? IS it just a change of stamps? If they werent renewing my visa, wouldnt that guy have to 'decir' something?????

Peace, and love

MichaelG said:
This time the dude made a face and stamped my passport without saying nothing.. But... It's just a stamp??? Nothing about '90 dias' ?????

It does have the date, doesn't it?

Yeahhhh the date is there. But all of my other stamps, like 15 + have 'turista 90 dias'

This one no

Anyway im sure its fine

I'm sure you are, too...but it still means you are here on a visa transitoria (good for 90 days).

Yeah, but I will be leaving for a while before this 90 days is up

Basically for the past few years I have had to be here for about 110 days a year, so I keep getting caught out and filling my passport with stamps etc

I had a stamp like that once and got all paranoid about it, but don't. It just means they forgot to put the 90 day stamp on top of it or handwrite it, which they sometimes do with a pen. I didn't see your original thread, but it's my guess that at least a few of the people on this forum who get up in arms about permatourists are hypocrites who worked in negro and/or did at least a few border hops themselves before becoming legal.

I'm not sure why anyone here would care how long you overstay your visa, since from my experience not even immigration cares. As long as you have some dollars to hand over when you leave... I wish you would have overstayed though, then you could tell us if that 3 strikes rule is true or not!! :p

I've overstayed twice. I was expecting some kind of lecture or warning - especially after the second time - but nothing. They just handled it like I was paying some kind of airport tax. That said, I don't want to risk the 3rd time, so I'll be leaving soon and when I come back I'll be getting married.

Argentine authorities are rather fickle, but they are undoubtably getting "tougher" on tourists. In 2004 they didn't even care to look when you came into the country, no entrance fees or reciprocal visas, just a $20 exit airport tax which I complained about at the time. I miss those days now!

Today I went for an extension at migraciones. I've never overstayed the 90 days in the 12 years I've lived here, but was told this was my last extension.I didn't ask the reason why because I'm going to start the temporary residency process now that I'm retired and immigration has made it simpler. They told me that I didn't have to bother to extend for another 90 days if I'm going to apply for residency. I've always been here legally without work, so I'm not about to overstay now.

I want to give some advice to newcomers who will be going to migraciones for an extension. They start handing out numbers very early so try to arrive at Building 4 on Antartida Atlantica by 7:00am. The person at the door will ask the reason for your visit -- PRORROGA -- and then give you a number for your turn. The people at windows K1 - K4 handle the extension, but they don't start work until 8:00am, even though all other departments have. You have to pay attention when they call numbers; miss your turn and you have to get another number. I believe they still have a limit of 50 per day; arrive late and you may not get a turn that day. Hundreds are being processed at other counters, but it takes at least an hour from the time your number is called until the time you get your passport back. Years ago it took even longer. Bring a photocopy of your passport photo page and the last visa entry on the same paper. You'll be directed to pay the 300 peso fee in cash at CAJA 1 or 2 on the other side of the room and return with the receipt. Then wait for the official at the desk to take her time looking through your passport before entering one stamp with dates. This gives you 90 days until you have to leave the country to renew the visa. They will only process the extension within ten days of the visa expiration. It used to be two weeks, so I went early and was turned away.

Back