It's been almost 1 month since I paid, but I still haven't seen my car

alicia30

Registered
I bought a VW Bora from Alra (supposedly one of the larger VW dealerships here), they told me the car was in stock and as soon as I deposit the full amount into their acct, I will have the car in 7-10 business days. I was freaked out about it at first, because I didn't want to pay until I saw the actual car. Then the guy told me it is in stock but in a warehouse really far away, and they would only bring me the car after I pay. According to many people I asked, this is normal?! Anyways, I deposited the money into their acct on July 20. At first they told me all they needed was my passport. Two days later they told me I needed a tax ID or something similar. I went and got it the next day. It's been almost a month now, I still haven't seen my car.
The lady in charge of paperwork never answers her phone and doesn't reply my emails. My sales guy only answers my phone calls if I call him from someone else's phone! Call me paranoid if you want, but I seriously think they are trying to avoid me! Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm just really worried because I've never seen the car I paid for, and every time I talk to the Alra people they tell me it's going to be ready next Monday, and it's been more than 3 weeks...

Not unusual at all. Yes, you pay in full before you get the car. They probably didn't have it in stock and it takes a long time to get them in. I knew someone who had to wait several months for his car.

I would go down and find out when your car will *really* be available. And remember, manana is an idea here, not an actual measurement of time ;)

ETA - Are you fully fluent in Spanish? If not, maybe bring a friend with you when you have the discussion and make sure you aren't missing ANY documentation that is needed to release the car.

Hi! I bought a car with Renault a few months ago and it seems like this is the norm when buying a car in Argentina. I waited 6 weeks for my car to be delivered and it wasn't even a imported car. The salesmen usually tell you that your car will be ready in 7-10 days just to get a sale! Dont worry just be patient you'll get your car. If you want to complain better to do this to VW directly, they audit all their car dealers.

Agree with Citygirl. Not unusual at all. Best to go there in person , and see what is going on. Remember customer service is a very vague concept in Argentina.

You could always double check with Volkswagen, tel 0800-888-8338 (Lun a Vie de 9:00 a 18:00 hs) tel. +54 11 4317 9381, and/or post your questions, doubts, misgivings on their facebook walls.

haha.

The same thing happened to me with Alra a couple of months ago. I'm starting to think we might have the same agent. Was it the Alra off Gaona ?

Anyway. I wouldn't worry too much. You'll get the car, eventually. It is a little infuriating since they promise 7-10 business days ( 15 days approx ) and it took them just about 30 days total to deliver my car but it is what it is.

You need to contact the central office on Juan B Justo and talk to the person you dealt with when you were there. They almost never answer calls. The phones just ring and ring. You need to go down to the office with all your purchase paperwork and receipts and request a more specific delivery date. Although if it's been a month already, it shouldn't take more than another week or two.

Sit tight. You're car will get there soon enough. :)

alicia30 said:
I bought a VW Bora from Alra (supposedly one of the larger VW dealerships here), they told me the car was in stock and as soon as I deposit the full amount into their acct, I will have the car in 7-10 business days. I was freaked out about it at first, because I didn't want to pay until I saw the actual car. Then the guy told me it is in stock but in a warehouse really far away, and they would only bring me the car after I pay. According to many people I asked, this is normal?! Anyways, I deposited the money into their acct on July 20. At first they told me all they needed was my passport. Two days later they told me I needed a tax ID or something similar. I went and got it the next day. It's been almost a month now, I still haven't seen my car.
The lady in charge of paperwork never answers her phone and doesn't reply my emails. My sales guy only answers my phone calls if I call him from someone else's phone! Call me paranoid if you want, but I seriously think they are trying to avoid me! Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm just really worried because I've never seen the car I paid for, and every time I talk to the Alra people they tell me it's going to be ready next Monday, and it's been more than 3 weeks...

Make sure you have an engine number or ID number for the specific car, brand and model in your paperwork. That way you are sure you bought a real car and not just the concept of a virtual one.

A friend had to switch dealers and lost some money because the first dealer took part of his money but never provided the ID number for the car. The next dealer provided a fake number that couldn't be traced to an existing model.
My friend works in a bank and he was next assisted by the guy who buys the bank car fleet. They got in touch with the president of Fiat (valued customer) and he made things right.

If you have the proper data, you can trace your car (at least know if it has been manufactured yet) and if the numbers match what you paid for.

I bought a new import car several years ago. While I did have to wait over 2 months for the car, I did NOT have to pay for the car in full until it arrived. I had to put down something like 3,000 pesos but that was it until the car came in.

It was VERY frustrating waiting. As I recall it took something like 2.5 months but I didn't have to pay for the entire thing.

These salesmen are the worst though...so like many things in Argentina you will hear "manana, manana, manana".

Hahah.....................this seems so backwards to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it better to buy a brand new car from the dealership or a 2nd hand car from car lot?

Especially if money is not the issue.

Back