Japanese Antique Lacquer Repair...

Juanito

Registered
Okay - I'm in the middle of disasters right now with trying to find a new apartment and all sorts of other stuff - but in the middle of all that I have a totally unrelated question...

I have a very precious antique item - a 350 year old Japanese samurai sword which is quite exceptional in a number of ways - not just the blade though, the exceptional quality and condition of the antique lacquered saya (scabbard) for the sword which is almost in perfect condition - or at least it WAS...

Somehow I managed to hit a small section of the black lacquer with something and now there is a section of about half a centimetre that has visible (but fine) scratching...

Back home I was usually pretty good at doing antique weapon/furniture restoration - but here in Argentina I simply DON'T know what product to buy for what purpose or where to get it... What I suppose I need is either the local version of a Japanese ''urushi repair kit'' or a suitable polish (wax or other) that can be used for removing fine scratches from furniture (for example) without damaging the finish... Any suggestions gang?

Many thanks in advance.

They must have some kind of "turtle wax" here like they use on cars, no?

I would be very leery about using something commercial. I would contact one of the museums or a very knowledgable antiques dealer and ask.

Okay - I'm in the middle of disasters right now with trying to find a new apartment and all sorts of other stuff - but in the middle of all that I have a totally unrelated question...

I have a very precious antique item - a 350 year old Japanese samurai sword which is quite exceptional in a number of ways - not just the blade though, the exceptional quality and condition of the antique lacquered saya (scabbard) for the sword which is almost in perfect condition - or at least it WAS...

Somehow I managed to hit a small section of the black lacquer with something and now there is a section of about half a centimetre that has visible (but fine) scratching...

Back home I was usually pretty good at doing antique weapon/furniture restoration - but here in Argentina I simply DON'T know what product to buy for what purpose or where to get it... What I suppose I need is either the local version of a Japanese ''urushi repair kit'' or a suitable polish (wax or other) that can be used for removing fine scratches from furniture (for example) without damaging the finish... Any suggestions gang?

Many thanks in advance.
Juanito-san, Bummer that you have damaged your Nippon tou's "Saya". Amazon has Japanese "Urushi Lacquer" for US$12.00 http://www.amazon.com/Toho-Japanese-Lacquer-Special-Brown/dp/B002OAHXFE/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1388430439&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=japanese+urushi+lacquer

We have friends that do antique restoration, shop is @ Honduras 5260. Don't be put off by kitschy stuff in window, they do a very good job.
Nancy

Thanks guys - I did track down a place in Japan not far from where I used to live years ago - they sell Urushi repair kits - I wonder what Aduana will make of it if I order it and get it sent here (?)

Thanks guys - I did track down a place in Japan not far from where I used to live years ago - they sell Urushi repair kits - I wonder what Aduana will make of it if I order it and get it sent here (?)
You are a proven sucker for punishment. Import Urushi Lacquer, no, nada, not a chance, no way......do I have your attention yet?. Forget it. Stay local or forget it. Anyway I think you need to focus on some real and immediate problems.

Ghost - I hear you... That project is ongoing right now - full on in the middle of apartment hunting right now - we saw one yesterday and will be seeing several more this week and then making a decision - not to mention explaining to the landlady that she better have our money for us if she wants us out on time...:) Re: my katana - its tiny and minimal damage but I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to caring for my Nihonto - have been a collector for years and my golden rule is try and maintain and care for these amazing pieces of history as best as I can - so that the next custodian receives them in better condition rather than worse :)

I have felt that temptation - a perfect 350 year old shinto blade - seki school - in perfect polish so she still has her perfect razor edge :) She is just the right size for swinging around in an apartment too - more of an uchigatana than a katana and a blade length of only about 2 shaku - could convert the landlord and landlady from hell into pork teppanyaki in about 30 seconds :) Ikimasho...:)

Back