Job Offered: Salary :-(

mariano-BCN

Registered
I'm about to fly to BsArs from where I may work as a freelancer for European media -and therefor paid in euro's. Now I received an offer to work at an Argentinean medium but it pays low: 4.500 pesos neto monthly. Isn't that very low, even for Argentinean standards?

Kind of sucks but with current times better have and not need ...
Take it -if you can manage doing both jobs- until something better comes along, will help you get a grasp of the way things work around here,

That's very low, but even if it were 9000 pesos per month you should avoid it at all costs. Being paid in pesos isn't going to be too much fun in the near future.

Disclaimer: I am paid in pesos.

Edit: Of course that assumes that you have the option to earn Euros. As Izno says, it's better to have one than none. A lot of people I know (myself included!) are beginning to look for part-time work to supplement the main job.

It's low, yes.

We rent a one bedroom apt out in palermo, it's new with a small pool, good facilities and well located, It is out at 3200 pcm and I guess after a year we will increase per inflation by another 10%.

You wouldnt have much to live on if you wanted to live alone. I honestly think you would want to double that salary at least.

Is that X12 or w/ aguinaldo (X14)? Any bonuses? ..i.e, is it a low base rate with high incentive to perform?

Either way, it's low. For a man who hates it so much here already, a salary like that wont do much for your happiness.

I'm assuming you are a writer / journalist? That might not be low for that profession but it's low for Buenos Aires. The last data point I have is taxi drivers here make about $7,500AR per month.

Aside from being relatively low to other Peso jobs here, keep in mind the Peso is devaluing. Look and see how many Pesos it will take you to buy a Euro today. In October it will cost you 2x today's rate - according to my crystal 8-ball.

You might want to stick with the Euros.

thanks for the replies, I'm indeed a freelance journalist. If I work for European mediums I obviously get paid in Euro's but any freelancer knows that work is never sure. Besides having colleagues is another plus, life as a freelancer may be very lonely.
But having a second thought: the salary is too low to motivate me enough. So I won't take it I think.
Oh and I read somewhere that journalists in Argentina are paid now around 3-7 thousand pesos more or less.

thanks for the replies, I'm indeed a freelance journalist. If I work for European mediums I obviously get paid in Euro's but any freelancer knows that work is never sure. Besides having colleagues is another plus, life as a freelancer may be very lonely.
But having a second thought: the salary is too low to motivate me enough. So I won't take it I think.
Oh and I read somewhere that journalists in Argentina are paid now around 3-7 thousand pesos more or less.

Journalists make 3-7 thousand pesos...?? less than my buiding encargado/dorman ? not realistic!!

Back