Joeblow gets robbed

JoeBlow

Registered
So, like the idiot that I thought I wasn't, I told my friend: "nothing's gonna happen, let's just leave our backpacks on the bench".

We proceeded to play a round of frisbee--nothing too exotic for Retiro (if you're from the US).

Lo and behold, a half an hour into the frisbee tossing, two guys come up to us to tell us --in English and with rather unnative-like fluency-- that we weren't allowed to play frisbee in the park.

After listening for a half minute and thinking to myself "who the fluck is this guy?", I turn around to find my backpack (and semi-defective netbook) missing from the bench.

The end.

would be nice to put some sort of tracking in the bag and set it as a "bait" to follow them to their hide-out and get'em busted.Good thing wasn't a brand new laptop....Retiro hmm not a safe area.

Carlosgreat said:
would be nice to put some sort of tracking on bag like that and set it as a "bait" to follow them to their "groove" and get'em busted.Good thing wasn't a brand new laptop....

That is a very good idea, Carlos the Great.

I know these people do this sort of thing all day, every day and, as a result, people think there is much more crime (inseguridad) then there really is.

About 5 or 6 years ago in Once, on Corrientes, I followed a mother-daughter tandem around for about 10 minutes. I saw them pickpocket at least one person and attempt to do do so one or two other times.

La moraleja, one bad apple spoils the bunch.

Sorry to hear that. The sad thing here is it's often likable people who end up being the robbers. They make contact and then when you have treated them nicely, you turn round and find they have stolen from you. When I first moved here I had the bird poop scam done. A lovely couple came up and helped my partner and I clean up. We had nothing on us so nothing was nicked, hence it was a while until we learned it was a trucha!!!

So last night my partner and I go out for a walk, there was a concert in the plaza in front of the Congreso and we walked around Callao, to Corrientes, to 9 de Julio, lots of people out around 11PM and we began to walk back. We turn on calle Montevideo off Corrientes again tons of people coming out of theaters, restaurants, and we see a weird guy standing on the corner of Montevideo and Sarmiento talking jibberish to people who walk by. We walk by him, walking towards the plaza del Congreso, after about a block I get that weird feeling that someone is behind me, I look back and the guy is no more than 2 feet behind us, I signal my partner to cross the street we do quickly and the guy stands there like he was going to cross too, we walk back the other way to where there was a policeman and we tell him what happened and he listened to us concerned but the guy following us was gone. You have to totally watch your back here AT ALL TIMES, who knows what this guy planned to do to us, if he had a weapon, if other people were working with him and around the corner.......scary to think about.

You left your bags alone in Retiro? We all slip up but, the only logical conclusion to this is that you´ll get robbed. I wouldn´t leave my bags alone in a park in the U.S.

Back