Judgement day for the Maradona experiment

Good article. Very interesting to see the reactions of Argentineans, a real psychological panorama.

Yes, i am stoked.

Can't friggen believe they lost that badly. I was rooting for the underdogs ie Paraguay and Uruguay but to see Argentina get thoroughly man handled by Germany. Really sad.

LA COPA SE TIENE QUE QUEDAR EN SUR AMERICA.

vamos URUGUAY vamos PARAGUAY !!!!

Tough day but hands down the Germans played better as a team that we did. Messi was pretty much a non-factor today - effects of being sick or bad coaching? I have to give full props to Tevis - Carlito played his heart out and gave that game everything he had.

Ugh, a thorough thrashing!!! Early goal was "unfortunate" and maybe a bit misplayed by the goalie.

Defense was totally exposed, and Argentina seemed to panic a little too early on in the Second Half.

Game showed Argentina's weakness on D. In the end, as Italy proved last World Cup, Defense wins championships. Germany was solid and consistently had plenty of Defense behind the ball. Until Argentina finally gave up and broke down, which is sadly, typically South American soccer.

I will say this, while the US team is not as skilled, I doubt you would see them giving up 4 goals, especially goals like these all inside the box tap ins.

I'm sad, but Germany simply dominated as they have this whole series. As much as I'd love to see a South American team take the cup I fear it will come down to Germany and the Netherlands.

And I guess we have the answer to the Maradona question. He was a great cheerleader, but couldn't come up with the tactics to beat a really good team. Shows his lack of coaching experience, but he should have made changes to tactics and personnel when Germany showed such early dominance. I would have liked to see Pastore or Veron come on much earlier to link midfield and attack. Messi and Tevez had to keep coming back to find the ball, which was why they were less effective.

Reactions: A&A
Couldn't agree more Diskosis, I thought Messi was good within the boundaries of how he was forced to operate. No-one in Argentina's starting XI passed the ball better. I hope the press here don't re-assume their default position of slaughtering him now.

On a brighter note, the absence of an Argentina match the very next day after Uruguay play means I'll be heading to Montevideo on Tuesday to watch their semi-final from there, and report back for ESPN. It's not a bad job, hey? And if they somehow fluke a win (I can't see how they will, given half of their team's injured) I doubt there'll be a better city on Earth to be in on Tuesday evening...

Sam,

As an example, Goal.com gave Messi 7/10 for the Germany match, whereas Ole gave him 3/10. Very harsh on the little bugger, and a typical kneejerk reaction. Maybe Messi should come and play a season with Boca or Estudiantes, thus proving he is a true footballer (sarcastic face).

Enjoy your Uruguay trip - very jealous. I was there yesterday (in Colonia) and the place was buzzing.

Back