Just Landed And Out Of Power!

Tommy1978

Registered
hi all,

I have just arrived for a 3 month stay here in BA.

The day has been spent in a jet lagged haze wandering round trying to work out various things.

namely... I forgot to buy any power adapters / converters - whatever they are called... (UK to BA) for my electrical appliances when I was at the airport. so all battery power is almost gone and I cannot find any retail place in town with them. reason mainly being that its a holiday today. tomorrow may prove different.

I could really use them asap.

does anyone know of an electrical outlet that would sell power adapters to convert UK appliances that is open over first thing tomorrow?

thanks.

Walk on the streets on Avenida Corrientes or Avenida Santa Fe in the afternoon. Hopefully, you will find someone selling those adaptors on the pavement for 15 peso a piece.

hi all,

I have just arrived for a 3 month stay here in BA.

The day has been spent in a jet lagged haze wandering round trying to work out various things.

namely... I forgot to buy any power adapters / converters - whatever they are called... (UK to BA) for my electrical appliances when I was at the airport. so all battery power is almost gone and I cannot find any retail place in town with them. reason mainly being that its a holiday today. tomorrow may prove different.

I could really use them asap.

does anyone know of an electrical outlet that would sell power adapters to convert UK appliances that is open over first thing tomorrow?

thanks.
which neighborhood are you at?

Uk uses 220 v like Argentina so you just need the cheap Chinese adapters you can pick up in the street. They are about 15 pesos last time I bought one

thanks all, will be hitting the streets tomorrow. am living in retino, near the water.

where are you hiding all the great food places?!

retiro even. and yes, guessed it would be super touristy for eating etc.
I want to eat authentic and good value tomorrow - another threads work. will research thru the archives.
thanks again.

Without even leaving the neighborhood:

Basa for the hottest new spot in town. (mostly) Good food cheap good wine. Great for people watching. Try the morcilla dish, the goat cheese and beet salad, the spicy lamb sausage with tzatziki, avoid the rice balls.

The Grill @ The Marriot for the Pato a la prensa aka "Canard à la presse", if you've never had that dish before you're in for a real treat. Other menu items aren't worth the trip.

Le Súd. French cuisine with a modern twist.

The Cafe in the train station: Actually the food is shit, but go get a beer or soda and check out the scenery.

Just across the barrio lines:

Recoleta:

Elena. Gunning for the best resistant in the city, not there yet in my opinion but not far off.

Fervor. Best seafood restaurant in the city, get the parillada de mariscos.

Puerto Madero:

Parilla mi sueño. One of the many puestitos along the costanera, and in my opinion the best. Get the vacio if they have it, and since the almost surely won't, get the bondiola al limon. Load up on the salsas and garnishes, the spicy stuff is kept near the counter where you pick up your food. Don't think too much about hygiene. FYI, beer is not on the menu but is available just ask.

La Cabaña & Cabaña Las Lilas (2 distinct restaurantes), meat meat meat. Excellent meat? Yes Overpriced meat? Yes. Pro tip: The menu ejecutivo at La cabaña is not your typical menu ejecutivo, it is a massive amount of delicious food and includes a generous pouring of good wine (dv catena). Pricer than most menus but a steal for what you get.

A little farther down puerto madero:

Royal China: One of the best chinese restaurants in the city. Predominantly cantonese food.

Chila. In my opinion the best restaurant in the city.

Back