Just saying "Hola" and a little more

Utopos

Registered
Hola!

I moved to Buenos Aires a few weeks ago from Florida, although I'm originally from Buffalo NY. Now I'm happily living in Palermo Hollywood.

Although I haven't posted much, I have been learning from this forum for about 18 months. Without all the advice and knowledge of its members, I do not think I'd have been able to make the move. Many thanks to all!

The other day I had an appointment at Migraciones for my DNI. I expected the worst, but it was quick and easy (even with my rudimentary Spanish). I was there perhaps 20 minutes in all. :)

On the way home I stopped at the U.S. Embassy, just to check in and let them know I'm living here. THAT was a frustrating waste of time. After waiting for "Window 15" to do something, ANYTHING for nearly an hour I finally walked out. The ticket I was given said my wait would be 12 minutes. They forget to add "y más" apparently.

I expected the Argentina bureaucracy to be slow and the U.S. to be efficient. Not on that day, it wasn't.

I've been pleasantly surprised by many things here, particularly how nice everyone I've met has been. Smiles have been returned, and my little kindnesses appreciate. No arrogance, no coldness... well, except for the owner of the carniceria across the street. But I'm working on him. I think my mistake there was asking for pork the first time instead of beef. He thinks I'm a foreign idiot. Maybe he's right. :eek:

Again, thanks to all. Although we've never met, I feel like I know so many of you.

Thanks so much for the online info. Anything that can keep me out of the embassy is greatly appreciated!:D

Now... if only I could find a way to never have to visit Correo Argentino in Retiro again. I spent a lovely week in that pleasure palace yesterday. At least it felt like a week. I suppose only 3 hours isn't anything to complain about there though.

Utopos said:
The other day I had an appointment at Migraciones for my DNI. I expected the worst, but it was quick and easy (even with my rudimentary Spanish). I was there perhaps 20 minutes in all. :)

no mercosur procedures for the very first time! :p it's easy... wait another year for a nightmare.

nolonelyplanet said:
no mercosur procedures for the very first time! :p it's easy... wait another year for a nightmare.

Gee... thanks for 364 sleepless nights! :eek:

Utopos - welcome to a fellow Buffalonian! You mentioned your appt for a DNI - I take it you are here for the long-term?

Go Bills ;)

citygirl said:
Utopos - welcome to a fellow Buffalonian! You mentioned your appt for a DNI - I take it you are here for the long-term?

Go Bills ;)

Citygirl, I won't go back until the Bills win the Superbowl... three consecutive years! How's that for long-term??? :D

P.S. thanks for the post about The Laundry Company a while back. It's great!

Back