Keep the presses rolling...

el_expatriado

Registered
Anyone else see the President giving a presentation of the new Evita bills? What are your thoughts?

argentina-evita-aniversary.jpeg-460x307.jpg

This was my first thought...

3334857720_9210ef7db1.jpg

Do we really need Evita on a bank note? Seriously, replacing Julio Argentino Roca, a two-term President who vastly expanded Argentina's national borders and solidified its dominion over all of the Patagonian region with Evita, who did what exactly? What a waste...

el_expatriado said:
Seriously, replacing Julio Argentino Roca, a two-term President who vastly expanded Argentina's national borders and solidified its dominion over all of the Patagonian region with Evita, who did what exactly? What a waste...

You're really asking this?

Yeah, that was back when you could buy quite a lot with a $100 peso bill. It almost felt like carrying around a $100usd bill in the states. I would always pull like $690 out of the atm. Now I dont worry about having small bills and would never use an atm (with my foreign card). I also dont lug around a wad of coins in my pocket just in case I need to take the bus or buy some gum...

Sleuth said:
Anyone remember when you had a hard time getting someplace to accept a $100 peso bill and were always trying to keep smaller bills around? :)

maybe they are just trying to replace all those semi-fake misprinted 00 bills.

el_expatriado said:
Anyone else see the President giving a presentation of the new Evita bills? What are your thoughts?

argentina-evita-aniversary.jpeg-460x307.jpg

This was my first thought...

3334857720_9210ef7db1.jpg

Do we really need Evita on a bank note? Seriously, replacing Julio Argentino Roca, a two-term President who vastly expanded Argentina's national borders and solidified its dominion over all of the Patagonian region with Evita, who did what exactly? What a waste...

Is this what you proudly say about Roca??

La campaña de Roca

Roca, en contraste con Alsina, creía que la única solución contra la amenaza de los pueblos de origen era extinguirlos, subyugarlos o expulsarlos.

A finales de 1878, empezó la primera ola para "limpiar" la zona entre la trinchera de Alsina y el Río Negro a través de ataques sistemáticos y continuos a los establecimientos de los indígenas.

Con 6.000 soldados y rifles nuevos, en 1879 comenzó la segunda ola alcanzando Choele Choel en dos meses, la cual fue entregada pacíficamente por los originarios locales. Desde otros puntos, las compañías del sur hicieron su camino hacia el río Negro y el Neuquén; el tributario norteño del río Negro. Juntos, ambos ríos marcaban la frontera natural desde los Andes hasta el Atlántico.

Muchos establecimientos fueron construidos en la cuenca de estos dos ríos, así como también en el río Colorado. Por mar, algunos establecimientos fueron erigidos en la cuenca sur del río Santa Cruz, principalmente por colonos galeses.

I don't know if you understand spanish, but I think yo should try and read what I quote here, what you describe as "...vastly expanded Argentina's national borders and solidified its dominion over all of the Patagonian region.." was actually a MASSACRE OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLE!!! And what Evita gave to the Argentinian people is a "bit" (just in case: sarcasm!!) more than that...

riosd said:
I don't know if you understand spanish, but I think yo should try and read what I quote here, what you describe as "...vastly expanded Argentina's national borders and solidified its dominion over all of the Patagonian region.." was actually a MASSACRE OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLE!!! And what Evita gave to the Argentinian people is a "bit" (just in case: sarcasm!!) more than that...

Seriously, what did Evita do for Argentina besides giving out planes trabajar and goodies for the lower classes in exchange for votes for her husband? That's no way to build a nation. It sounds more like populism to me.

Julio A. Roca fought an expansionist desert campaign and won territory for Argentina in patagonia. Yes, surely some people were displaced or killed, but that's the price of expansionism. Sorry, but no nation was ever built with pacifism.

I'm sure Cristina would have liked to put her own face on there, but probably thought better of it. She sees herself as Evita II anyway. :p

el_expatriado said:
Seriously, what did Evita do for Argentina besides giving out planes trabajar and goodies for the lower classes in exchange for votes for her husband? That's no way to build a nation. It sounds more like populism to me.

Julio A. Roca fought an expansionist desert campaign and won territory for Argentina in patagonia. Yes, surely some people were displaced or killed, but that's the price of expansionism. Sorry, but no nation was ever built with pacifism.

Ask an Argentine woman or a poor person what exactly Eva Peron did for Argentina. Regarding Roca, there's no way to justify what he did, or others who have used similar methods. You might as well be advocating for Hitler to be put on a bill. Roca didn't build a nation; he stole one. Being such a staunch capitalist and free market kind-of-guy, I wouldn't expect you to be too sensitive to poverty or women's rights, but I'd think that property rights--of all things--would mean a thing or two to you. Are property rights only important for those who have the money to defend them? Why aren't indigenous peoples entitled to them?

You know, we learn about these moments in history so that we don't repeat them. Nation-building through theft and murder? Classy. I hear it's working great for us in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Back