Kiwi Considering Move To Ba

dewymorning

Registered
Hi, I am from New Zealand, lived here most of my life and currently considering moving to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I have joined this site in the hopes of gaining more information as I prepare for the move.

Nice to meet you.

Hey! I did the move from NZ about 8 months ago, so if you have any questions about the working visa, cultural difference etc just let me know. I will say one thing, be prepared for a big change. I know that everyone says that but it really is when you are used to NZ. If you want PM me with any questions or get in touch when you are here. Also I'm interested to know why BA. Good luck!

I will say one thing, be prepared for a big change. I know that everyone says that but it really is when you are used to NZ.

I'm surprised - I don't feel daily life is all that much different from home? Still a capitalist society with all the usual ways of living: public transport to get around, supermarkets, cafes/bars/movie theatres/gyms/concerts ,etc... There's a few cultural particularities, but nothing incommensurate or incomprehensible that I can think of?

Anyway, bring vegemite and gravy. Start stocking up on US$ now as NZ$ is trending down. Books much cheaper than home!

Milk over here seems fine :D

Hi there, nice to meet you. When are you planning on arriving? I've found this site helpful for finding apartments to rent etc., so post a thread if you're looking for a place and odds are that someone will help you out. If you haven't visited before then I can tell you that BA is a great city and has a lot to keep one occupied. On a purely practical note some helpful advice we got before arriving was that electronics are really expensive here (massive duty tax on smart phones, computers etc.) so bring what you need from home. Also, import restrictions and cultural preferences mean that many foods that we have in Aus. and NZ are either very hard or impossible to find or are very expensive. I suggest bringing foods such as peanut butter, curry paste, packets of stir-fry sauce, earl grey tea bags, baked beans (assuming of course that you like any of these!). If you fly with LAN Chile they will allow you to bring 46kg of baggage! Also, clothes here are a little cheaper than in NZ but are often of pretty poor quality. Stock up before you arrive! But if you want leather shoes then this is the place to buy them.

Can I ask you why you chose this country among many others?
If I were you, Chile may be a better option, I think

She chose it because I'm here.

Indeed, once word got out about International Guy's whereabouts, half the nation was on the phone to flight centre inside an hour. Just about melted the NSA's Southern Hemisphere circuitboard...

As for making gravy at home, I'm still hoping to see 40, so the volume of butter involved, not to mention the pan drippings, ruled it out. Gravox ftw.

Back