Kiwi raised, London bred and looking for work in Buenos Aires!

BrookeRose

Registered
Hello everyone,

Kiwi raised, London bred and looking for work in Buenos Aires!

My name is Brooke, 28 years old and to cut a long story short I had Argentine neighbours whilst growing up in New Zealand and ever since I am still unable to shake the dream of creating a little life for myself in Buenos Aires.

I have lived in London for the last 6 years working as a Marketing Executive for a Stock Exchange but recently quit to travel the length of South America and settle for a year or more in Argentina.

I have joined this site as one of the means of finding work. If any of you lovely people can help me or suggest anything then please get in touch. I have a lot of interests and therefore open to a wide range of work.

Brooke

I would really think twice before coming here to live.
If you like:

International food
Friendly people
Fashion
Reasonable priced electronics
Bars with atmosphere
equal rights for women

This might not be the place for you.
Most of my female flatmates have cut short their stay here.

I really appreciate London since coming here.

Hey Brooke,

I can't help you with a job, but I'm another kiwi girl living here, (and I used to live in London too)

If you want any advice about anything, or would like to meet for a coffee, let me know!

Enjoy your travels :)

Hey Brooke, welcome to the forum! It may be difficult to find a "normal" job here, given most places wont hire foreigners without a work visa and getting the work visa is a pain in the arse. How is your Spanish? The job market is flat currently. English teaching can be a way of finding money, but from what I hear it takes time to build a client base and even then the pay is average at best.

If I could suggest something, come with money on the expectation you wouldnt be working, then if you find something it will just be a bonus! BA is a good time time if your young and dont put down your roots too far. For an estimation of costs, this thread is relevant (see below), but just keep in mind that inflation runs at about 2-3%. Per month.

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/23360-moving-advice.html#post175737

robwerwe said:
I would really think twice before coming here to live.
If you like:

International food
Friendly people
Fashion
Reasonable priced electronics
Bars with atmosphere
equal rights for women

This might not be the place for you.
Most of my female flatmates have cut short their stay here.

I really appreciate London since coming here.
Who needs international food?
Friendly people is everywhere, if you know how to meet friendly people.
Reasonable priced electronic garbage which you discard as soon as you get bored? Pay for it.
Bars with atmosphere, BA has a lot, unless you only like the atmosphere of your own city...
Equal rights for women? You must be kidding boy. Women are even more reespected here than in many countries.

You probably drink a lot and you can't think properly. I'm just using the way people use here in the forum (not friendly at all with all the rest).

I dont know if women are more respected here than in many other countries. As awesome blokes as they are, I find most of my Argentinian mates and colleagues to be what most women would call pretty chauvinistic.

Coffee and sandwich at Starbucks for breakfast, steak at lunch and we just ordered Japanese from Badelivery.com. So I guess international food is really hard to come by, huh?

Opinions are a bit like A-holes, everyone has one and usually they stink.

If you have a little bit of money in your pocket, the food is great, the people are friendly and the bars I have been to were decent enough, however I must agree that electronics are way over priced, so if you think you will be needing anything, why not bring it with you?

Don't get me wrong, it's not London, far from it, but I must admit the place has character and once you get used to the quarterly muggings you'll feel right at home.

BrookeRose, what kind of jobs are you looking for? My company is hiring and we are looking for people with excellent english communication skills or native. PM me.

snowwhitebum said:
Coffee and sandwich at Starbucks for breakfast, steak at lunch and we just ordered Japanese from Badelivery.com. So I guess international food is really hard to come by, huh?

Opinions are a bit like A-holes, everyone has one and usually they stink.

If you have a little bit of money in your pocket, the food is great, the people are friendly and the bars I have been to were decent enough, however I must agree that electronics are way over priced, so if you think you will be needing anything, why not bring it with you?

Don't get me wrong, it's not London, far from it, but I must admit the place has character and once you get used to the quarterly muggings you'll feel right at home.

Well my opinion is whats bolded is a little childish and not in the least bit funny.

I think the general feel with BA is that the food selection is fairly limited to asado, pizza and pasta and milanesas. If you like beef and wine (particularly malbec) and dont get tired of it easily (I am in this boat), then you would be fine.

Yes Asian food can be found, but the quality usually isnt there and if it is you have to search hard to find it. Even the Mexican food here is pretty limited and those used to decent Mexican (of which being Australian I am not!), such as people from the US say its pretty average here.

Back