Knitting Mad

tangobob

Registered
In a city where nobody does anything for themselves, does celebrity change everything?
We hear from celebrity commentators that the stars are knitting, now on every corner where once were cafes, are wool shops.
I walked down Scalabrini the other day and it is now almost exclusively wool shops.
I wait for the day the stars start using pooper scoopers.

tangobob said:
In a city where nobody does anything for themselves, does celebrity change everything?
We hear from celebrity commentators that the stars are knitting, now on every corner where once were cafes, are wool shops.
I walked down Scalabrini the other day and it is now almost exclusively wool shops.
I wait for the day the stars start using pooper scoopers.

tb, those stores have been there for decades :)

nikad said:
tb, those stores have been there for decades :)

Funny how I never noticed them. I have been coming here since 2004 and this neck of the woods since 2006.
Are you sure you are not trying to pull the wool over my Eyes :D

They have been there since 2004 because that's when I started buying the good wool yarn here for my aunt. It is really expensive in the USA now and she loves the quality from here.

celebrities may knit in the USA- but not in BsAs.
I shop at the hilado stores on Scalabrini Ortiz quite a bit, and have never seen a single celebrity, porteno or otherwise, in any of em.

In Buenos Aires, the vast majority of knitters and crocheters are older women.

In the USA, there is a HUGE new subculture of young, 20 something knitters, both male and female- most of them far from celebrity- but that does not seem to have caught on here- there are very few "crafty" kids here, compared to in the norte.

One of my favorite crochet projects is this-
http://www.theiff.org/exhibits/iff-e9.html

Higher level mathematical modeling, combined with a coral reef.
One of the sisters is an art professor, the other a historian of physics.

Neither profession here in Argentina would be caught dead crocheting.

Harleygirl said:
They have been there since 2004 because that's when I started buying the good wool yarn here for my aunt. It is really expensive in the USA now and she loves the quality from here.

I never intended to doubt Nikad (sorry if it apeared that way), but I have noticed more wool shops around. Perhaps it is just my perception.
I do find it strange though, in a city where people pay to have their dogs walked, their washing done, and you are nobody without a maid, that people knit.

And do not forget, appart from a few sainted souls, nobody picks up their dog crap.

tangobob said:
I never intended to doubt Nikad (sorry if it apeared that way), but I have noticed more wool shops around. Perhaps it is just my perception.
I do find it strange though, in a city where people pay to have their dogs walked, their washing done, and you are nobody without a maid, that people knit.

And do not forget, apart from a few sainted souls, nobody picks up their dog crap.

I can´t knit, have no maid, wash my stuff but have a dog walker ( just to avoid the poop guilt ;) ) Really tb, it is not a trend here ( at least for now ) In that area those stores were always there ( the large ones ) the smaller ones come and go ( just like everything in this city ) I lived 10 blocks from there for 20 yrs :)

Here is a link of the " golden era " and the " rebirth " after the 2001 crisis http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=522200

nikad said:
I can´t knit, have no maid, wash my stuff but have a dog walker ( just to avoid the poop guilt ;) ) Really tb, it is not a trend here ( at least for now ) In that area those stores were always there ( the large ones ) the smaller ones come and go ( just like everything in this city ) I lived 10 blocks from there for 20 yrs :)

Here is a link of the " golden era " and the " rebirth " after the 2001 crisis http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=522200

Good article, perhaps the stars got knitting from the Portenos.:confused:
You need a maid at least or you will always be an exranjero.
20 years and you are not yet bitter and twisted, you need to tell me how you managed it.

tangobob said:
Good article, perhaps the stars got knitting from the Portenos.:confused:
You need a maid at least or you will always be an extranjero.
20 years and you are not yet bitter and twisted, you need to tell me how you managed it.

Ahhh tb, I am Argentine, my hubby is the Expat ;) lol, trust me, I am bitter, twisted :)

Knitting is super trendy back in the States right now, especially with the younger generation. When we moved to Argentina last October, I brought a bunch of knitting projects, which I worked on during our summer travels through Patagonia. I can vouch that you get a lot of weird looks if you are knitting in public (a favorite activity for me on the bus, plane, airport...).

At one point, I needed to weave the ends into the edges of a scarf and didn't have a crochet hook, which I would usually use, and instead utilized a pair of tweezers. An older Argentine woman came up to me and asked if I had made the entire scarf with the tweezers! It was very cute.

During my travels, all of the older women would flash me interested looks and would sometimes strike up conversations. Younger women usually looked mystified as to the knitting thang.

Back