La Nacion calculates how much it costs to live in Buenos Aires

Che Boludo

Registered
The answer to the question that everybody wants to know when trying to figure out the logistics of making the move here has been estimated by the local paper La Nacion.

In Spanish
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1394350-el-desafio-de-vivir-solo-y-llegar-a-fin-de-mes

Google translate in English:
http://translate.google.com/transla...o-de-vivir-solo-y-llegar-a-fin-de-mes&act=url

Although different lifestyles lead to different costs, it gives you a rough idea of the costs of living here.

Things to keep in mind:
-Apartment prices are rates for locals with una garantía(plenty of threads on this already) and are low because they aren´t furnished
-There are some costs like gas and school that you won´t need to consider but there are others, like bar tabs, dinning out and entertainment that aren´t.
-Read the comments to see what others think.
-For all new people, the prices are in Argentine Pesos. (Even though the google translate page once or twice incorrectly says dollars instead of pesos)

What do people here think about these costs? Realistic for you?

That seems about right to me for someone in their 20s/early 30s here. I think expats generally have to spend more on rent because of the garantia issue and many working expats have jobs abroad so can probably afford a lot more on entertainment.
I have a terrible professional salary by Argentine standards (though pretty typical for the sector I work in) and have to pay the same as the people interviewed in La Nacion for rent/food etc. If I were single, I wouldn't be able to sustain myself here. It seems like my Argentine colleagues have more financial help from their families otherwise I don't understand how they could afford to do the job they do, tbh.
Fortunately, the field my husband is in pays far better so we're able to manage but if we had extra expenses like a car, private university or a family, we'd probably be living month to month too.
I think it also depends on your age. The people interviewed seemed fairly young. I think it would be a different issue altogether if you were mid-thirties upwards.

Sounds about right - and this is not a very high standard of living.

People in Jujuy, have salaries of AR$ 1500, rent a place and have 7 kids, so location and life style are important in the equation.

Back