Landlady claiming rent transfer did not go through

creyescruz

Registered
Ugh…a month ago I posted on here about how my landlady wanted me to pay three month's rent at the black market rate which, for me, would have amounted to another month's rent. Luckily, my spanish teacher helped negotiate for me to pay through wire transfer, so I could pay the official rate. She also wrote up receipts, signed by my landlady, thank goodness, which stated that I did indeed pay 3 months rent at such and such date.

But now my landlady is claiming the transfer did not go through. Either she is totally lying or her bank somehow 'misplaced' her money. Which, considering some of the stories I've heard here, don't seem inconceivable.

Any suggestions anyone? Hopefully I'm protected from being thrown out because of the receipts she signed. Also, isn't this between her and her bank? How is this my problem?

You really need suggestions on how to handle this ? Both of you are adults, just contact your respective banks and get it sorted out. If your bank paid, you should have legally verifiable proof, if her bank never received the funds, she should have legally verifiable proof. It is YOUR legal responsibility to make sure your landlord is paid her rent since the contract is between you and her and not her and your bank or her bank.

Owner : " Hi, Hey I never got paid the rent you owed me "
Tenant : " not my problem, i sent it, deal with it "
Owner : " wtf, are you kidding me ? "
Tenant : Nope, this ain't the US, I don't have to act with scruples "
Owner : " oh, okay, don't worry about it then, I'll just not eat for the next 3 months "
Tenant : " Kool, like i said, not my problem "

I'm a little unclear - you did a wire transfer from a bank in Arg to the owner's bank account in Arg? Or was it done from an external bank account into an Argentine bank account? If it was done from external account, into a bank account here, it would have needed to clear the Central Bank and she would have needed to file paperwork in order to get the funds. And it may be subject to withholding.

Do you have copies of the wire transfer confirmations?

TheBlackHand said:
You really need suggestions on how to handle this ? Both of you are adults, just contact your respective banks and get it sorted out. If your bank paid, you should have legally verifiable proof, if her bank never received the funds, she should have legally verifiable proof. It is YOUR legal responsibility to make sure your landlord is paid her rent since the contract is between you and her and not her and your bank or her bank.

Owner : " Hi, Hey I never got paid the rent you owed me "
Tenant : " not my problem, i sent it, deal with it "
Owner : " wtf, are you kidding me ? "
Tenant : Nope, this ain't the US, I don't have to act with scruples "
Owner : " oh, okay, don't worry about it then, I'll just not eat for the next 3 months "
Tenant : " Kool, like i said, not my problem "
Wow, I'm looking to see if anyone else has gone through this and what they did. As a foreigner here I'm finding the input of more experienced expats and locals invaluable. What you have to criticize in this is beyond me.

You are posting on an open forum. Be prepared for criticism. Your attitude regarding the property owner being paid being her problem and not yours said it all. But I already gave my opinion. I'll move on now.

Back