Latin American Military Power

It is very fortunate that in today's South America, those discussions about who has the "biggest stick" are mostly meaningless. Our citizens move across South America easily by just flashing their national IDs at the border crossings. Argentines go shopping at Fallabella and Jumbo, which are Chilean companies. Argentines and Chileans ride on Marcopolo busses, cook with their Tramontina utensils and bank at Itau. Our armed forces train together and we partner to build military airplanes. The prospect of our militaries shooting at one another went from a daily possibility to an unimaginable scenario.

We in South America have come a long ways over the past 30 years.

It is very fortunate that in today's South America, those discussions about who has the "biggest stick" are mostly meaningless. Our citizens move across South America easily by just flashing their national IDs at the border crossings. Argentines go shopping at Fallabella and Jumbo, which are Chilean companies. Argentines and Chileans ride on Marcopolo busses, cook with their Tramontina utensils and bank at Itau. Our armed forces train together and we partner to build military airplanes. The prospect of our militaries shooting at one another went from a daily possibility to an unimaginable scenario.

We in South America have come a long ways over the past 30 years.

Chile vs Bolivia and or Peru?? For sea Sovereign access :cool:

They will not go to war because of it. Chile has too many investments in both Peru and Bolivia. And Peru and Bolivia need continuing Chilean investment. Also, Brazil would throw all its weight and influence to defuse any conflict, like it did back in 1995 when Ecuador and Peru decided to go at it.

Right you both are Rich One and Camberiu and that's why I agree with "Pepe" Mujica when he said back in March that Brazil was the model to follow. I suppose Sergio was begging the question.

Bolivia already has all the access to the Pacific that it needs, with use of port facilities at Arica and Iquique over excellent paved roads (at least on the Chilean side of the border). It certainly doesn't need coastal territory to encourage it to spend more money on an already useless navy that operates on Lake Titicaca and the rivers of Amazonia.

Right you both are Rich One and Camberiu and that's why I agree with "Pepe" Mujica when he said back in March that Brazil was the model to follow. I suppose Sergio was begging the question.

Brazil WAS model the to follow ! not any more ?? Corruption, recession, devaluation, Lula and Dilma down the drain.

Agreed. Lula and Dilma's Brazil isn't and never was a role model for anything. When I first arrived in Argentina, back in 2012, I remember the perplexed faces I'd get from the locals when I told them so.

We'll have to agree to disagree in this one, Rich One.Most of the big corruption fish have been arrested and some are already in the slammer,Brazil's economy will eventually come out of recession,devaluation was necessary because of the strong dollar.Neither Lula nor Dilma are down the drain ,unless you are referring to the "pot bangers" at the Top-Top wedding in Sao Paulo a few days ago.Dilma's hands are clean and she will come out of this smelling like a rose. However,Lula I'm not too sure of.I agree with the conclusion of Federman's article in the B.A. Herald, "Rouba Mas Faz".This could ,and I agree it's a big "could",be a new biginning for Brazil and for L.A. as well.

Back