Leave Aus on Oz passport, arrive in Argentina on British passport

BA Barrio Busquador

Registered
Our expedition to Argentina looms closer.

One of our travelling party (hem hem) has both an Australian and British passport. I absorbed today that British citizens don't have to pay the reciprocity fee. Given that I will be paying her fee on her behalf if she enters Argentina on the Oz pp (I being the mother and her an impoverished to-be backpacker) if we can enter on her UK passport that would be the go. But I think she will have to leave Australia on her Australian passport (otherwise her British passport won't show how she was justified in being in Australia??). Can she leave Oz on the Australian passport and arrive in BA on the UK one? She is "of age".

I know I should look at the government websites but just canvessing for a personal experience if poss...

Thank you again,
BA Barrio Busquador (I know it's spelt wrong, very embarassing)

BA Barrio Busquador said:
Our expedition to Argentina looms closer.

One of our travelling party (hem hem) has both an Australian and British passport. I absorbed today that British citizens don't have to pay the reciprocity fee. Given that I will be paying her fee on her behalf if she enters Argentina on the Oz pp (I being the mother and her an impoverished to-be backpacker) if we can enter on her UK passport that would be the go. But I think she will have to leave Australia on her Australian passport (otherwise her British passport won't show how she was justified in being in Australia??). Can she leave Oz on the Australian passport and arrive in BA on the UK one? She is "of age".

I know I should look at the government websites but just canvessing for a personal experience if poss...

Thank you again,
BA Barrio Busquador (I know it's spelt wrong, very embarassing)

This won't be a problem. She will likely have to present both passports, but maybe not. Argentine immigration can be pretty lax, but it's hit and miss.

If she's a UK citizen, then Argentina has no legal authority to tell her that she cannot travel on that passport.

Worst case scenario: She'll have to enter on her Australian passport. If that does happen (unlikely), then I'd think a complaint at the UK Embassy here would be in order.

She only has to present one passport, where she was before is not the business of any immigration. I have visited 33 countries and only ever present one. I havent had any problems except once in HK where I absent mindedly presented a different passport to go out than the one I went in on!

I can concur with irishvan. I also have 2 passports and use whichever one is convenient -- just remember to exit on the same passport you entered. Immigration only looks for entry stamp so that they can stamp the exit right next to it. Many countries allow dual citizenship so traveling with 2 passports is definitely above board.

irishvan said:
She only has to present one passport, where she was before is not the business of any immigration. I have visited 33 countries and only ever present one. I havent had any problems except once in HK where I absent mindedly presented a different passport to go out than the one I went in on!

In the United States, one may have to present both passports -- especially if you're from a non-visa waiver country. I realize this is Argentina we're talking about, but the policy of presenting both passports is not unheard of.

All passports show place of birth. If entering the US on an Italian passport that shows place of birth as Buenos Aires, Argentina, CPB may (and probably will) request to see the Argentine passport.

bradlyhale said:
In the United States, one may have to present both passports -- especially if you're from a non-visa waiver country. I realize this is Argentina we're talking about, but the policy of presenting both passports is not unheard of.

All passports show place of birth. If entering the US on an Italian passport that shows place of birth as Buenos Aires, Argentina, CPB may (and probably will) request to see the Argentine passport.

Why would the US immigration ask to see the Argentine passport? They won't. Just because someone is born in one country doesn't mean they even have the citizenship of that country. My aunt was born in Angola. That's what is says on her passport as place of birth. She doesn't have and never has had an Angolan passport.

mini said:
Why would the US immigration ask to see the Argentine passport? They won't. Just because someone is born in one country doesn't mean they even have the citizenship of that country. My aunt was born in Angola. That's what is says on her passport as place of birth. She doesn't have and never has had an Angolan passport.

You are correct on that point. Obviously, if you don't have an Angolan passport, then you can't show it. I suppose you would just explain that to the CBP officer.

I was specific on this because I've met someone who was asked to present both of his passports. He arrived on a flight from Argentina, presented his Italian passport that said he was born in Argentina, and the customs official asked to see the Argentine passport.

bradlyhale said:
You are correct on that point. Obviously, if you don't have an Angolan passport, then you can't show it. I suppose you would just explain that to the CBP officer.

I was specific on this because I've met someone who was asked to present both of his passports. He arrived on a flight from Argentina, presented his Italian passport that said he was born in Argentina, and the customs official asked to see the Argentine passport.

It may happen but it's certainly not common.

Anyway, it's not relevant. The OP can leave Australia on one passport and enter Argentina on another without any problems.

Back