"Leaving America"

arielw2001

Registered
Greetings to everyone at baexpats.org!

My name is Ariel Enrique Wapnir...and I am filmmaker here in Los Angeles that is planning to move to BsAs in February. Although I am a native Porteno...I've lived in the United States since I was 4 years old...so the fact that I am coming back home...may or may not disqualify me as a future Expat for many of you!

I am currently in pre-production on a documentary entitled, LEAVING AMERICA, which will begin filming in March in BsAs!

I was in BsAs in October for a couple weeks pre-interviewing many American expats. I hope to speak with more expats in here...and I'm also looking to speak any Americans who are still in the US but plan on moving to Argentina in the near future!

Since this is my first time here...I'm not sure if it is appropriate to discuss too much about the project...so I'll leave a brief overview here for now...in the hope that some of you will wish to contact me to share your stories! Who knows...you could end up in our film??

Is America no longer the Land of Opportunity?

While the United States has been going thru economic, social & political upheavals not seen since the Great Depression...Argentina is in the midst of a new wave of immigration that is helping make the country one of the few economic bright spots in the world today.

According to the US Consulate in Argentina, since over 50,000 Amercians are currently registered with them, they estimate that there could be as many as 200,000 living in the country today! Unlike the better known Expat destinations that have always been magnets for American retirees, Argentina is attracting a younger, educated demographic in their 20's & 30's.

LEAVING AMERICA will examine the lives of several expats...before and after their move...in an effort to explore what drives tens of thousands to leave behind their homes, careers, family & friends in the US...and why they chose to come to Argentina...a place where most arrived at not speaking the language or knowing anyone!

I look forward to your comments and suggestions!

Thanks,

Ariel

It should be called "LEAVING USA"

arielw2001 said:
I am currently in pre-production on a documentary entitled, LEAVING AMERICA, which will begin filming in March in BsAs!

Ariel

I agree that LEAVING USA would be better since this is also AMERICA!

cruizes said:
I agree that LEAVING USA would be better since this is also AMERICA!

Just about everyone in the world calls the USA AMERICA (including those who refer to America as the Great Satan). Argentines only make this argument for the sake of being argumentative. I've never heard an Argetine say, "I'm an American, too" unless they have been granted citizenship in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

If the topic was leaving the Western Hemisphere and included stories of people leaving from various countries on this side of the earth, then I would be all for a title like "Leaving the Americas" but since it isn't, I think the title is appropriate.

steveinbsas said:
Just about everyone in the world calls the USA AMERICA (including those who refer to America as the Great Satan). Argentines only make this argument for the sake of being argumentative. I've never heard an Argetine say, "I'm an American, too" unless they have been granted citizenship in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

If the topic was leaving the Western Hemisphere and included stories of people leaving from various countries on this side of the earth, then I would be all for a title like "Leaving the Americas" but since it isn't, I think the title is appropriate.

You haven't talked to the same Argentines as I have then. Of course they won't say "soy estadounidense" unless they have citizenship but they will say "nosotros tambien somos americanos"

That "Im american too" is an Argentine obsession.
They drive me up the wall with that

Hi Ariel,

Your film sounds very interesting. I've actually been in B.A. for a month after living in the states for about 20 years. I'm originally from Mar del Plata. I'd love to help in anyway.

arielw2001 said:
Greetings to everyone at baexpats.org!

My name is Ariel Enrique Wapnir...and I am filmmaker here in Los Angeles that is planning to move to BsAs in February. Although I am a native Porteno...I've lived in the United States since I was 4 years old...so the fact that I am coming back home...may or may not disqualify me as a future Expat for many of you!

I was in BsAs in October for a couple weeks pre-interviewing many American expats. I hope to speak with more expats in here...and I'm also looking to speak any Americans who are still in the US but plan on moving to Argentina in the near future!

Since this is my first time here...I'm not sure if it is appropriate to discuss too much about the project...so I'll leave a brief overview here for now...in the hope that some of you will wish to contact me to share your stories! Who knows...you could end up in our film??

Is America no longer the Land of Opportunity?

While the United States has been going thru economic, social & political upheavals not seen since the Great Depression...Argentina is in the midst of a new wave of immigration that is helping make the country one of the few economic bright spots in the world today.

According to the US Consulate in Argentina, since over 50,000 Amercians are currently registered with them, they estimate that there could be as many as 200,000 living in the country today! Unlike the better known Expat destinations that have always been magnets for American retirees, Argentina is attracting a younger, educated demographic in their 20's & 30's.

LEAVING AMERICA will examine the lives of several expats...before and after their move...in an effort to explore what drives tens of thousands to leave behind their homes, careers, family & friends in the US...and why they chose to come to Argentina...a place where most arrived at not speaking the language or knowing anyone!

I look forward to your comments and suggestions!

Thanks,

Ariel

Hey Ariel,

Your private messaging seems to be turned off. I'd like to send you a message when you get it turned on.

steveinbsas said:

This drives me nuts too. If the name of the country was the Argentina States of America, or Argentine America, they would have a point. The US is referred to as America because it's a nickname. It's a pain to say the whole thing...especially in Spanish...estadouniWHAT? :rolleyes:

Back