Lets be positive people

laureltp

Registered
After reading this forum for a while I wonder if everyone here is familiar with the effects of culture shock. Just in case I'll attach this little article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

So, what I want to say, is that I don't believe Argentina is really that bad, although a lot of people here have a very negative view of it. I think for one thing, trying to assimilate into a very different culture than your own (not to mention a different language) can bring on a lot of stress. Being away from everything familiar, not to mention family and friends, and in the meanwhile learning Spanish and hunting for a job and social connections can be SO stressful. I have the suspicion that many people here don't really hate Argentina as much as it may seem but rather are very stressed out and seeing things from a negative point of view.

I have been here a little more than a year. In the beginning I was so home sick I almost turned around and went back. After that I started learning more Spanish and that really helped me feel more connected with my new world. Then, my boyfriend and I went on this adventure of job hunting and finding a real apartment in pesos here. Now that the worst part is over I am suddenly feeling less stress than I have felt in a long time and all of a sudden Buenos Aires seems more beautiful to me. Now I am glad I didn't turn around and go home immediately.

I guess what I am trying to say, is if you are having a hard time, hang in there. I think that you might find that after a while of adjusting all these things we complain about will start to seem a lot less important.

Interesting. 8 months here, with many years to follow I find myself reflecting ...which ties in well with this posts 'adjustment phase' just in time to return home to England for 6 weeks where I'll experience some 'reverse culture shock', I'm sure. I enjoyed reading it thanks.

I love being here but it's been stressful and equally rewarding, not the permanent holiday my friends at home think it is. At times I have wanted to jump on the next plane back but always remind myself that it's the fantasy I miss, being in a cosy pub with all my friends, eating my favourite foods...truly relaxed. Not the reality of the Sunday night blues facing a week in a really, really stressful job.

I have also just read the post 'BsAs 5 yrs and still adjusting' which made me realise for the first time that I'm not alone in feeling that I don't belong, with the locals of course but in the expat world too. I'm over 30, married but no kids so I don't fit with the expat parents or 20 somethings, it seems. I posted on here when I first arrived but only got replies from couples but I've noticed others who mention their age, in their 20's get loads of replies to meet up in one of the many bars in Palermo. I miss my social circle at home, of all ages and marital status but know I will never find a substitute for that. The pro's here still outweigh the con's and generally I'm really happy :)

can it be true that there are no expats over 40, single or married? How is it possible?
Well, here is one coming..:)

No really, I am wondering..

mamminger said:
Living in Argentina is an endless series of problems and disappointments...I have nothing but the lowest respect for them as a society
mamminger said:
In total seriousness, Argentines abuse each other constantly. It is part of their culture, it IS what being Argentine is about. Ive never seen so many ruthless and unkind people. Regarding rights, again, this is Argentina, you will have rights once you touch again the soil of the United States. Just think, it could be worse, you could be staying here.

Sorry your experience in Argentina has been so negative. I'm afraid what you say about having no rights here is only too true, but each country has good and bad points.

The US is a wonderful place to be young but a harsh place in which to grow old. Once people turn sixty they may as well be dead - they are regarded as nuisances who just clutter the landscape. They live in old age ghettos (retirement communities or nursing homes) with minimal contact with other generations, and they are "cared for" by untrained employees earning minimum wage.

Here, on the other hand, senior citizens are part of society, valued and even treasured. Putting a relative in a nursing home is regarded as almost criminal by Argentines, so other arrangements are made. Seniors are included in social activities with people from all generations, and get help and preferential treatment from family and shopkeepers alike.

People in this forum are nowhere near retirement age, so they probably don't notice such differences. But that's the way it is.

I have lived in a few countries
USA
Mexico 3 diff times
Bahamas
Turks and Caicos Islands
Thailand
and now Argentina

This is by far the hardest country Ive lived in in terms of assimilating,adjustment and getting to know the locals.Alot of it can be blamed on my lack of Spanish,but in Mexico it was much easier,and I certainly speak more Spanish than I do Thai.

This is a confusing place on many levels,things that shouldnt be too hard to get done here are for whatever reason near impossible.

As far as cost of living vs. comforts available this has to be near the bottom of the pile as well.

BKK to BA said:
This is a confusing place on many levels,things that shouldnt be too hard to get done here are for whatever reason near impossible.

As far as cost of living vs. comforts available this has to be near the bottom of the pile as well.

Quite true. I'm in Argentina mostly for family reasons, and can't understand why foreigners would want to move here. Life is cheaper, and safer, and less stressful in many other places - including small US college towns.

Laureltp - it's interesting - I actually had the reverse experience of you. My first year here, I don't think I have ever been more happy in my life. The next year was much harder. And now going on my third year, I think I see it with pretty clear eyes. There are many wonderful things about Argentina and in order to survive here, you have to focus on those. And if/when the moment comes that the negatives outweigh the positives, it's probably time to leave.

I know for me it's not culture shock (I actually don't think I ever really experienced it). It's trying to figure out if/how I will ever be able to fully integrate into the society here and if I will be able to find and achieve the things that matter to me. I don't hate Argentina - if I did, I would be on the next plane out - but it has its challenges.

As far as reasons to live here - there are many and everyone has different ones. But the experience of living outside your home country is invaluable and teaches you many things - good and bad. That is probably the most important reason I am here. Other reasons in no particular order:
I also love that a friend will always take you to/from the airport.
I love that waiters don't blink at you spending 3 hours at a table to chat with your friend and only buy one cup of coffee.
I love that when people in the neighborhood get to know you, they look out for you.
I love that in 30 minutes from downtown, you can be in the country and have access to horses and land.
I love that for 1.25 pesos, you can go anywhere in the city on a bus.
I love that old men tip their hats and call me beautiful on the street.
I love walking on the streets in Belgrano Chico and looking at the beautiful houses.
I love that I have met expats from all over the world and learned so many things from them.
I love spending an afternoon with people, at an asado and drinking great wine and talking and talking and talking.

So there are some of my positives....

Back