Letter to US costs minimum 180 pesos!

sergio

Registered
Went to Correo Argentino today. A ‘simple’ (not certified, regular mail) letter up to 20 g to the US costs 180 pesos or USD 4.10! From the US to Argentina the same costs USD $1.15!

Here is NPR's Planet Money Podcast on why this happens for those interested.
I listened. Interesting but it was about packages rather than 20 g letters. Since they say that the majority of the cost is delivery from the airport on arrival to the address on the letter, it makes even less sense that a letter to the US should cost almost 4 x more than going the other way.
When did the rates soar here? Was it under CFK or Macri? And didn't Macri buy Correo Argentino some years ago? That astonished me as I had never heard of a country with a private postal service and none run by the state. Apparently a privatized Correo lost money so it was returned to the state. Maybe someone has more info on this.

I was in a hurry and needed to send some documents to the US using DHL a couple of months ago and it cost 1850 pesos. The same documents returning from the US cost around twice as much. I think it was $98.

That may be but DHL is private and I was writing about Correo Argentino.

Back