Life in ushuaia

riz

Registered
Has anyone lived in ushuaia or moved from BA to ushuaia?
Would appreciate if anyone could compare the pros and cons of living in ushuaia comparing with BA.
Thanks in advance

Cold. Whether that's a pro or con is up to you. I remember when we visited, the woman who was our tour guide said that her children were so used to the cold, cloudy weather, that when the sun came out they didn't like it!

I've never lived there, but have visited, and my takeaways are:

- It's "cold" by Argentine standards, but it's Köppen rating is Subpolar Oceanic, i.e. Reykjavik, Iceland, Southern South Island New Zealand, Highlands and Islands Scotland, Lofoten Peninsula Norway, etc. which is basically 0ºC in the Winter to max 14ºC in the Summer
- It's cloudy as Camel said; while there were sunny days when I was there, gray was more common
- Groceries were cheaper than CABA (they're subsidized or taxed less, at least last time I was there)
- There used to be (not sure now) tax incentives to live there with less payroll taxes
- Most employment is via the government and tourism
- When it snows it can snow hard like in the North East US, but it's not as frequent
- It's quiet, not a whole lot going on, and it's kind of insular my taxi driver was telling me

i visited last january. it was really pleasant that time of year, but some days were still chilly. the access to nature is amazing, the food there seemed to be very good quality, the city was nice although driving around town sometimes was a challenge with the steep hills on the streets (can't imagine that is much fun in winter).

not sure about living there year round though, it is a pretty isolated place in the world. i'm sure winter would be a bit harsh. if i were old and retired though, i would definitely consider it as a summer spot.

I've never lived there, but have visited, and my takeaways are:

- It's "cold" by Argentine standards, but it's Köppen rating is Subpolar Oceanic, i.e. Reykjavik, Iceland, Southern South Island New Zealand, Highlands and Islands Scotland, Lofoten Peninsula Norway, etc. which is basically 0ºC in the Winter to max 14ºC in the Summer
- It's cloudy as Camel said; while there were sunny days when I was there, gray was more common
- Groceries were cheaper than CABA (they're subsidized or taxed less, at least last time I was there)
- There used to be (not sure now) tax incentives to live there with less payroll taxes
- Most employment is via the government and tourism
- When it snows it can snow hard like in the North East US, but it's not as frequent
- It's quiet, not a whole lot going on, and it's kind of insular my taxi driver was telling me
Wonder if the climate, seasonal aspect. etc create a culture with some Scandanavian features.

Wonder if the climate, seasonal aspect. etc create a culture with some Scandanavian features.

Architecturally Ushuaia reminded me of Sweden and Canada at times, and compared to the rest of Argentina, people seemed to be more connected with nature and leisure activities that take place in nature as opposed to miles and miles of concrete in AMBA.

Also this reminds me, there was a theory in academia for some of the 18th/19th/20th century that hypothesized that there was a correlation between latitude/colder climates and economic development, a sort of "tougher climates make hardier people who are more productive" belief, but this has since been largely discredited, even if it seems empirically true today with wealthier countries being closer to the poles. (Prior to the Industrial Revolution, economic development was centered closer to the equator and agriculturally productive lands/trading routes such as Sumerian Mesopotamia/Indus Valley, Egypt and Phoenicia, Greece/Rome/Macedonia, Maya Civilization, the Zhou dynasty, Mali/Ghana Empire, Incan Empire, etc.

Architecturally Ushuaia reminded me of Sweden and Canada at times, and compared to the rest of Argentina, people seemed to be more connected with nature and leisure activities that take place in nature as opposed to miles and miles of concrete in AMBA.

Also this reminds me, there was a theory in academia for some of the 18th/19th/20th century that hypothesized that there was a correlation between latitude/colder climates and economic development, a sort of "tougher climates make hardier people who are more productive" belief, but this has since been largely discredited, even if it seems empirically true today with wealthier countries being closer to the poles. (Prior to the Industrial Revolution, economic development was centered closer to the equator and agriculturally productive lands/trading routes such as Sumerian Mesopotamia/Indus Valley, Egypt and Phoenicia, Greece/Rome/Macedonia, Maya Civilization, the Zhou dynasty, Mali/Ghana Empire, Incan Empire, etc.
Freidrich List briefly discussed how torrid zones were better for production of agriculture and other land based resources such as cotton while temperate zones were better suited to manufacturing. Very different economic world from that of those ancient civs you mentioned so it would consitute a poor refutation.

Back