Limes $$

I had the same experience a few days ago:eek:, but I decided to hold my desire to lime pie until I'm back home!

Limes fluctuate a lot depending on the season and whether they have to be imported or not.

Yeah the price of limes has shot up recently, a place where i put a new menu together (gourmet burgers and cocktails) had to suddenly change the price of the caiphrinas last week. Hopefully will go back down in the next few weeks as nobody will be buying.

Lee said:
Today we went to buy some limes for a dish and asked for 10. There was no sign (on anything) and we were rather shocked when we were told 51 pesos!

Since they were essential for the recipe we decided on 5 instead but really talk about sticker shock... :eek:

Were you in Chinatown? Or somewhere else?

Also, since there's a steady harvest of limes from the country next door (Brazil), it shouldn't be like this. But it is. Maybe other countries' needs affect Brazil's price.

Not only are they expensive but you have to be really careful as some try to pass off green lemons as limes.

Ahh lovely limes. When limes are in season they're around 10/kilo, but I've only seen them lately for 20 and up! Pretty steep, but what I can't believe is the price of red bell peppers these days.

Yes, the cost of limes does fluctuate, which can be frustrating. Pick a verdulería and stick with it, make friends, and you'll be less likely to get screwed. I get them at the indoor market in San Telmo, since that place has exotic and tropical stuff all year long, which means I can always go to the same person no matter what I cook. Tropical stuff is always expensive (10 pesos for a not huge mango!), but at least it's there. But even so, I can make a huge, party-sized batch of guacamole and pico de gallo for around 60 pesos total, tastier and cheaper than in any of the restaurants, so I don't feel that bad about it. (Two years ago the same recipe cost 45 in the middle of winter, oh well). But then again, that's only like 4 limes. Guess I won't be making key lime pie or ceviche anytime soon.

At least you can find limes! I've never seen them in my city.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Steve K Food and Drink 9
Back