Lionel Messi leaves Barcelona FC. It’s the end of an era.

D.B. Cooper

Registered
Lionel Messi is leaving Barcelona FC. The end of an era. I’m sure the recent 8 - 2 loss to the Bayern Munich in the Champions League had some thing to do with it. As George Harrison said “all things must pass“.

There will be a big battle about whether he can leave "on a free" or another club will have to pay a huge fee. Depends on a clause in his contract and how it will be interpreted. Anyhow, huge news that he wants out and not a really big surprise. The Barca suits have run the team into the ground.

He's always been a crybaby and missed a sitter that cost ARG the World Cup in 2014. Even San Diego after a week-long coke and prostitute could have scored that one.

This guy (Messi & Any other professional athlete.) lives a charmed life and is very blessed.

He worked hard to be the great player he has become. I can't take that away from him. He deserves all the rewards of his abilities and success.

However, all he does is play a game for his personal enjoyment and for the entertainment of others. All the while being compensated wildly well.

Bottom line: Who really cares? What he does has no material affect on our lives. Same for any other athlete, entertainer or musician.

Yes, it is interesting, but other than entertainment, what the heck purpose is served? None I can think of.

Is Messi a hero? The younger a person is, the more likely the answer is to be yes. However, the older a person becomes, I think the reply is more apt to be no.

The real heroes are the people who are changing our lives, our societies, the way we live and what things are available to us.

Medicine, communications, on line shopping, understanding of all things scientific, etc ... These MOSTLY UNKNOWN people who work doing this kind of stuff are the heroes of our lives and generation. The vast majority of these people get paid very little, work very hard and improve our lives.

So in the grand scheme of things Messi ... as great as he is at what he does ... his life and his actions are not important to me.

These are the people I AM INTERESTED IN. And what they are up to interests me as well!

He's always been a crybaby and missed a sitter that cost ARG the World Cup in 2014. Even San Diego after a week-long coke and prostitute could have scored that one.
Have you ever watched football (or soccer for you) outside the World Cups?

I am not particularly a Barcelona or Messi fan for that matter, but what this guy was doing over the last 15 years is unmatched in the history of this sport. If you love football, it is impossible not to admire what he has done so far. An absolute legend.

I'm actually a Barça supporter and am grateful for what he's done for all these years, but he's also been part of the problem. For one, without Xavi and A. Iñiesta he is not the same player. It's very telling that they still won 1 World Cup, and 2 Euro Cups without him, and Messi without them hasn't won anything significant internationally. He's had a lot of negative influence behind the scenes, like having a tantrum and basically forcing the sale of Zlatan, or the fact that a very out of his depth Tata Martino was brought on just to make him happy. He needs the right team, the right coach. Maradona could make a crap team into champions.

I'm actually a Barça supporter and am grateful for what he's done for all these years, but he's also been part of the problem. For one, without Xavi and A. Iñiesta he is not the same player. It's very telling that they still won 1 World Cup, and 2 Euro Cups without him, and Messi without them hasn't won anything significant internationally. He's had a lot of negative influence behind the scenes, like having a tantrum and basically forcing the sale of Zlatan, or the fact that a very out of his depth Tata Martino was brought on just to make him happy. He needs the right team, the right coach. Maradona could make a crap team into champions.
Two thoughts:
1) Messi could have actually easily played for Spain instead for Argentina (as he went there with 13 years of age). He would be considered as the greatest of all time without a doubt. He chose to play for a far weaker Argentinian team, and even brought them to a couple of finals. And if then Higuain scores it, whether Neuer’s attack is a penalty or not, it is a lot of luck as well.
2) Maradona was a great, no question (apart from Garrincha the only player to have won a World Cup in an otherwise average side). However, over the course of his career, he lacked the consistency of Messi. He was playing in an era where football was far less physical. To dominate a World Cup the way he did, it would be impossible today. And another thing: had Argentina lost the final to Germany, he would have been only half the player as he is seen nowadays. And as I said, there is always a bit luck involved in these knock out games.

Which sitter did he miss in 2014? I remember Higuain but not Messi.

Which sitter did he miss in 2014? I remember Higuain but not Messi.

Higuain had a clear penalty and Neuer should have been sent off, but Messi missed a great chance about ten minutes earlier. It still boggles me how an attack line of Messi Aguero Higuain scored so few goals that year.

Two thoughts:
1) Messi could have actually easily played for Spain instead for Argentina (as he went there with 13 years of age). He would be considered as the greatest of all time without a doubt. He chose to play for a far weaker Argentinian team, and even brought them to a couple of finals. And if then Higuain scores it, whether Neuer’s attack is a penalty or not, it is a lot of luck as well.
2) Maradona was a great, no question (apart from Garrincha the only player to have won a World Cup in an otherwise average side). However, over the course of his career, he lacked the consistency of Messi. He was playing in an era where football was far less physical. To dominate a World Cup the way he did, it would be impossible today. And another thing: had Argentina lost the final to Germany, he would have been only half the player as he is seen nowadays. And as I said, there is always a bit luck involved in these knock out games.

I agree with both points, but I don't know where he would have fit in Spain's style of play. From 2008 - 2012 it was close to a perfect team already. And imagine the rioting if he had chosen La Roja over Argentina? After all, this is a country where fans will set their own stadium on fire.

Back