Live By Las Canitas Or By Malba/club De Amigos

arielm

Registered
Hi Friends,
We are debating between 2 apartments - one in las canitas and one in a really nice tower with pool/gym right by Malba and Club de Amigos. Do any of you have strong opinions on which area? We have 2 young kids. Is by Malba dangerous because it's so fancy?

Hi Friends,
We are debating between 2 apartments - one in las canitas and one in a really nice tower with pool/gym right by Malba and Club de Amigos. Do any of you have strong opinions on which area? We have 2 young kids. Is by Malba dangerous because it's so fancy?

Malba is not far from a Villa, that's why I would pick las Canitas. However, personally, there is no way I would live in Las Canitas either because it is a restaurant district. A lot of the people that lived there in the past moved away because of the huge nightlife that is in that area. If you are in a part of las Canitas that is further away from the restaurants, it might be okay, but on Friday and Saturday nights (and even weeknights) the place is absolutely full of people and cars and the like.

I don't agree re the nightlife remark, it really never bothered us at all -- we lived there for almost 6 years, just moved away in March -- we were on Arce and Chenaut, one block from Baez, and the noise was really not an issue. As said above, it's a restaurant district, not a clubs district -- the restaurants all close by 2am anyway, so apart from a couple of bars the traffic completely dies off. We were more likely to be disturbed by the garbage truck than traffic. We were on the 5th floor at the front. The benefit of living there was we were in walking distance of restaurants as well any time we wanted to go out. Perhaps for some it is more annoying, but for us it was a great spot to live, easy access to restaurants, parks, schools, everything.

I live near Malba. Yes, there is a villa behind Paseo Alcorta and a stable population of beggars on the corner of Salguero and Figueroa Alcorta (sorry, the word 'beggars' doesn't sound nice... pardon my non-native English) , but it is not unsafe at all. I have returned from Paseo Alcorta across the plaza next to Malba at night, no problems (on the other hand, my sister had her backpack stolen in that same place... but she gets mugged everywhere, so...)

Plus, sidewalks on Figueroa Alcorta (Malba) are wider (a plus if you have kids and want to ride their bikes without apologizing to pedestrians), spaces more open, greener. You have Jardin Japones, Plaza Alemania, Bosques de Palermo, KDT, Barrio Parque nearby. Club de Amigos is great if you are going to use it. If you live on Figueroa Alcorta you don't have cartoneros leaving a trash mess like they do on other areas.

The good thing about Canitas is that there is more of a "barrio" feeling than there is on Malba, more shops, more people. But being Argentine and knowing I'll be stuck here forever with all those people :cool: , I prefer a bit of isolation, less barrio and more tourists, different faces, different languages.

You'll be fine on both areas, but I prefer Malba.

I would definitely go for the malba área, better access to the cities green spaces.

hi guys - thank you for this! we decided on Malba apartment - it was just such a nicer building and place. I hope the hood works out well ;)

Back