Live-in Maids

SingapreExpat

Registered
I am considering relocation from Singapore, and need to think about the maid situation. Currently I have a live-in maid from the Philippines who has responsibility for my 17 month daughter, and does everything else around the house. Including government levies, she costs about US$450 per month, plus her expenses.
First question is, does anyone know if you can bring a foreign maid with you to work in Argentina?
Secondly, what do I need to think about for hiring someone locally? What is local domestic help like? What does it cost and what are their typical conditions?

I would bring your current maid over if you are comfortable with her. I am sure she can come on a 3 month visa and travel out of the country every 3 months. When you are then in Argentina you could hire a lawyer and figure things out if you want to do that.
Talking to your nearest Argentinian embassy is also an good idea

she'll need a visa just to enter the country even as a tourist

live in maids typically earn around 1000 pesos a month which is currently about
us$350.

this from the NY consulate about visa requirements.

Holiday/family visit and transit

Nationals of the following countries do not require visas to visit Argentina for tourism or family visit for a period not exceeding 90 days or for transit:
United States of America, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Holy See, Honduras, Hong Kong S.A.R., Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Serbia and Montenegro, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Grenada, Jamaica and Malaysia (up to 30 days).

Country-list current as of October 13, 2006

$1,000 pesos is much higher than the average. $650 pesos is more typical. Live-in employees ("maid" is an old fashioned term these days. The Spanish term for female "employee" is much preferred nowadays). More and more, these women come from Paraguay or possibly Bolivia. Argentine women do not seem to want to work this way. It is not easy to find a reliable employee. Your employee from the Philippines might find it very isolating in Argentina and could be very unhappy.

Back