Local cell phone plan or ???

tqtqtq

Registered
This forum helped so much with planning what to bring in our move to BsAs (scheduled for Feb but now moved several months earlier). Now I am researching a cell phone plan to use. My Argentine husband and I (gringa) are moving from Los Angeles. Should we bring our stateside cell phone plan with us? Get a local plan? Will iPhone on stateside plan work there? Pitfalls? Appreciate your help.

tqtqtq said:
This forum helped so much with planning what to bring in our move to BsAs (scheduled for Feb but now moved several months earlier). Now I am researching a cell phone plan to use. My Argentine husband and I (gringa) are moving from Los Angeles. Should we bring our stateside cell phone plan with us? Get a local plan? Will iPhone on stateside plan work there? Pitfalls? Appreciate your help.

Doesn't your plan provider in the US give you rates for Argentina? The way I see it, it'll cost you a fortune to use a US phone here. Best to get a local plan - and btw I wouldn't flash an iPhone in BsAs, it's a very sought after item as they can't be bought here

State side plan will be expensive, even if you buy special roaming packages.

Local plans are fine.

GSM iPhones on state side plans will work.

to pompeygazza - I see iphones everywhere these days. They're not THAT sought after.

If you don't have an unlocked GSM phone and you want a half decent one buy an unlocked one on ebay before you come. When you get to Argentina simply buy a SIM from Movistar, Personal or Claro and you are good to go. I don't know about low end phones in Argentina but the higher end ones look to be almost double the price when I have checked. So if you like a decent phone buy it on ebay before you come.

DO NOT GET OR USE A PLAN FROM THE US! It is incredibly expensive!

The only way you have a GSM phone is if you have service with AT&T or T-mobile (or one of the small MVNOs that use those networks like Straight Talk) but you would need to contact the carrier to "unlock" the phone. My understanding is that this is straightforward with AT&T if you are out of contract.

For a basic unlocked GSM smartphone for around $150 new I would recommend the HTC Nexus One http://www.ebay.com/ctg/109348699?ssPageName=SRCH%3ACMPL%3AVS&_tab=2

PhilipDT said:
to pompeygazza - I see iphones everywhere these days. They're not THAT sought after.

Still sound advice not to flash one if you're new though...

By iphone I suspect you mean you have 'the works' like email, internet, facebook, twitter and all the other stuff you take for granted at home. If you go pay as you go you dont get all that. Ive only been here 5 weeks and have put a pay as you go sim in my blackberry so it half works, no internet just texts and calls. Its driving me mad! To get a plan you need a DNI which Im waiting for at the moment. So it all depends on what you want. Also be careful what you buy as my husband bought a brand new phone out to use and it wont work. I think they have to be quad band? but Im sure someone else on here can tell us more.
Best of luck.

I dont agree, I have an iPhone but am just careful with it. Yes, as with all your possessions you need to be a little more street smart here, but I would not not live your life for the sake of it. A couple of my friends have had their blackberries stolen. Bring your iphone, but as with all electronics and possessions, be careful with them!

Marche exile said:
By iphone I suspect you mean you have 'the works' like email, internet, facebook, twitter and all the other stuff you take for granted at home. If you go pay as you go you dont get all that. Ive only been here 5 weeks and have put a pay as you go sim in my blackberry so it half works, no internet just texts and calls. Its driving me mad! To get a plan you need a DNI which Im waiting for at the moment. So it all depends on what you want. Also be careful what you buy as my husband bought a brand new phone out to use and it wont work. I think they have to be quad band? but Im sure someone else on here can tell us more.
Best of luck.

Incorrect.

You can get data on pre paid cards on all the companies. Personal is $1 peso a day and activates when you try and use data. Movistar is $10 pesos / 2 days but you have to send a text to get it, otherwise you get the standard rack rate for the data which is expensive. Not sure about claro.

Marche exile said:
Best of luck.

Phones have to be quad-band to work here.

Back