Local Peanut Butter

bradleycosta

Registered
For all of you who whine about peanut butter, it seems they produce it locally now. I have no relation with this people, but though I pass it along for all of you who suffer withdrawal symptoms.

http://mantecademani.com/

I haven't tried this peanut butter so I don't know what it's like, and I take my hat off to these people for starting this business venture. However you can get peanut butter now at ANY dietetica, the best brand is SYTARI, produced in Córdoba. A 450gr plastic jar can be purchased for between $22 and $26 pesos. This brand is costing $25 pesos for a 340gr jar PLUS $15 pesos delivery if you don't buy at least $100 pesos worth, and an even higher delivery charge if you are further out of the center / palermo neighborhoods. I love my peanut butter but eat it sparingly as the cost here for some ground up peanuts is outrageous.

I've not actually seen anyone complain about the lack of peanut butter for quite a while!

I love my peanut butter but eat it sparingly as the cost here for some ground up peanuts is outrageous.

Have you ever tried making your own? I made some a while back and it turned out pretty nice, if a bit liquidy.

Hi guys- thanks for sharing our link! We're a small business, just started up this past month. Our hope is to eventually compete with these other brands (Sytari), but right now we're essentially making to order with our mini "industrial production". There may be some cheaper PB promos at some stores out there, but after recently attending a food market lots of people who tasted ours noted that the color was brighter and it was tastier than the Argentine brands they're used to. I thought about it and in many neighborhoods shops jars tend to sit on the shelves for a while, since it is a small market. In Barrio Chino the jars are over 35 pesos for the 350g jars, and likely haven't moved in some time. It's been years since I've had any local brands, but they always looked a little grey. It could also be the case that they industrial grade peanuts (used mainly for nut oil production) while we use retail grade peanuts (made for bakeries/final consumers.) From what I've seen Sytari is a pan-arab foods company, making sesame paste mostly and other Syrian/Lebanese foods. Their "pasta de mani" is likely a limited item. I think most Argentines use it for baking or sauces vs snacking/sandwiches. I used to end up packing a suitcase with a few jars when coming back from the US.

Since it's just me, with help from a few friends when they can, reaching the whole city is an issue but I'm more than happy to work with people (meeting them at convenient locations, etc.) so they don't have to pay the delivery fee. We'll hopefully have a few locations where people can pick up our products by the end of the summer. For now we have to encourage people who live beyond La Paternal/Parque Patricios and Villa Mitre (our delivery zone includes them for free for 100+pesos) to order with friends. Delivery discounts exist for larger order to the non central neighborhoods (which include Barracas-Soldati-Santa Rita-Del Parque etc. and beyond) Most people pass through a central part of the city a few times a week, and again, we're more than happy to make arrangements to meet with someone or drop something off at their office. And, pickup is free! We're walking distance from the Agüero stop on the D line, and Carlos Gardel stop on the B.

I should mention we do offer a 10% discount for orders over 1,5k. And it goes without saying, we're in Argentina! Which means if you'd like more, or purchase often, email us so we can talk about descuentos importantes. PS, if you're a blogger and enjoy sharing recipes, do contact us and maybe we can get you a jar! Either way, email us, tell us what you think. Any/all feedback is excellent and welcome.

ps- David, your profile says you're in Centro? You should be close then, email me and I'll send you a coupon so you can at least try some real, freshly made peanut butter!

Anyway, glad to see people are interested. Thanks!

-Chris

contacto(at)mantecademani.com

I havent seen this one but I have got one in Carrefour that I usually buy. I just got a huge jar of kraft from my sister but might give it a try once its out. Perhaps they could start producing vegemite as well!!

You can just make it yourself, mix 500gr of peanuts unsalted, for 5min in a food processor and done!

Just met up with Chris from Mil Manteca for my first purchase of his peanut butter. He's my new dealer. :D Simply amazing.

I got one jar of each (smooth and crunch). It tastes like I just whipped up a batch myself without the mess and without burning out my blender. Totally natural and extremely fresh. If you hate eating the hydrogenated oil stuff and aren't impressed with Mani Untable's new "Natural" version (which is slightly thicker than peanut oil) or the sitting-on-the-shelf-for-two-years taste of Sytari, contact Chris and arrange an order. You will not be disappointed. Worth the little bit of extra cost and the run to Abasto.

Back