Long Distance Bus Company Recommendations

SherbertDip

Registered
Thinking of going to Cordoba and/or Mendoza on an overnight bus. What are the best companies to use? Anything I should avoid/be aware of on these buses?

In the bus station itself, be very aware that there are many grab-and-run experts watching for people to victimize. Just hold on to your backpack or suitcase until you get on the bus, and look confident and alert.

I think the buses themselves are great. Make sure you get one with seats that recline into beds, for an overnight trip.

In the bus station itself, be very aware that there are many grab-and-run experts watching for people to victimize.

Nothing like that. Please dont create fear mongering.

I often travel to Rosario in a bus late night, and sometimes even land at retiro at 0300 in the morning from Rosario.

Nothing like that. Please dont create fear mongering.

I often travel to Rosario in a bus late night, and sometimes even land at retiro at 0300 in the morning from Rosario.

Ceviche, I am very glad that you have never had a problem with grab & run artists, but please don't assume that your good luck means the situation doesn't exist at Retiro station. It does.

I am trying to keep what happened to me in the station, from happening to the OP. It would be fear mongering if this were mere speculation, rather than experience. While this forum is sometimes used for bickering or putting others down, I prefer to use it to seek information and to share with others, whatever help I can offer.

When someone breathlessly rushed up to me and, seemingly panicked about missing her bus, asked where a bus to Rosario was, I momentarily let go of my pack as I talked to her and pointed where she needed to go. Her accomplice, meanwhile, grabbed it and was out of the station before I could blink. Afterwards, I learned that I had fallen for a common scam, and I felt really foolish. Had anyone mentioned the scam to me before my first bus trip, I would have been alert to it. This happened 11 years ago, when I was new to Buenos Aires, as the OP now seems to be. If I can help prevent this from happening to SherbertDip, I would like to be helpful in this way.

Despite that one bad experience during that first month in Argentina, I certainly do still recommend the overnight bus, but also recommend being watchful in the station.

Thinking of going to Cordoba and/or Mendoza on an overnight bus. What are the best companies to use? Anything I should avoid/be aware of on these buses?

Personal preference only, of course - we like CATA for Mendoza and Flecha for trips north.

Years ago, I was visited by an English cousin. We decided to travel to Villa Gesell from Retiro, and crooks stole a bag from him in one of the restaurants, in front of our eyes and without noticing. They are in league with the waitresses , I think. They are consummate theft artists.

Thanks all - I am a seasoned traveler and these days you'd have to cut my arm off to get my bag :). Someone once did a distract and grab on me on a train in Amsterdam as it stopped at the station. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and the little sod did not expect my lightning fast reaction. I jumped out of the train after him and grabbed onto his t shirt as he began to run away. He dropped my bag and I got all my stuff back. Since then I am super, hyper, overly aware of everyone anywhere near me in any crowded situation. It's not much fun really!

Thanks all - I am a seasoned traveler and these days you'd have to cut my arm off to get my bag :). Someone once did a distract and grab on me on a train in Amsterdam as it stopped at the station. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and the little sod did not expect my lightning fast reaction. I jumped out of the train after him and grabbed onto his t shirt as he began to run away. He dropped my bag and I got all my stuff back. Since then I am super, hyper, overly aware of everyone anywhere near me in any crowded situation. It's not much fun really!

Thats my man! Kudos! Fortune favors the brave!

Just as you should be careful at any other BIG CITY train station or bus terminal ALL OVER THE WORLD, criminals are always lingering around looking for victims. It really pays being alert.

I have taken Chevallier a couple of times to/from Cordoba, it was quite pleasant and comfortable overnight ride. A few suggestions:
Verify that the bus contains wifi, USB charging, and individual seat monitors. http://www.nuevachevallier.com/

Back