Looking for a builder for remodel of PH

JonnyDucth

Registered
Hello:

I am the new owner of a great little PH in Almagro.
It is a pretty big job and I will need help with:

plastering,
opening walls to install new windows,
making a steel staircase,
constructing a semi-piso,
painting,
tile work,
etc..

My biggest request is that they be builders that are reliable, honest, and easy to work with.

Thank you for your help.

Jonny

JonnyDucth said:
My biggest request is that they be builders that are reliable, honest, and easy to work with.

And just what makes you think that you deserve a miracle? :D

Sorry to say that the most likely thing to be en blanco (blank not white) is your checkbook.

I highly recommend Cecilia Varela. She is an architect and interior designer and is fantastic (not much English though).

http://ceciliavarela.com.ar/

She has a crew for any job you'd need done in the Capital and has done serious remodel work for me (like the kind you are looking for). Look at her website on the prensa page. That was an apartment she did for a good friend of mine that was totally destroyed when she found it. They did a complete tear down, added a steel staircase, etc. A huge job and it turned out amazing.

I have some architect friends who can help, Leo and Fer. Great guys and they speak perfect English. Their website is here: http://estudiohma.com/ Tell them Toby sent you. They have their own team that you'll be able to trust 100%.

There are builders out there who you can trust and who do a good job. If they get paid a reasonable wage on time you make it worth their while. They know it will lead to more work. Easier if you speak reasonable Spanish though.

Unless it is very complex (which I doubt being a PH en Almagro), I would not use an Architect. Break the work down into parts and pay them a step at a time, start off on something small. Make sure you get an address and landline.

Gorilla Monsoon said:
Works fine for me! Try typing estudiohma into Google if not. first one that shows up.

My AVG software puked when I went to the web page.
Something about “Exploit Blackhole Exploit Kit”.
Enjoy the web page and what it may do to your computer.
I’m staying away....

There ARE honest people in that industry but the problem is there are far more dishonest people so mostly you find out through trial and error. It's not just how they will do the renovation but how they will handle any problems that occur due to their negligence AFTER the project is finished. Sometimes things only are known and apparent after the project is finished. And a true sign of how ethical and professional someone is by how they solve the problem.

Whomever you use, the most important thing is make a time line table of when each task will be finished and stagger your payments to the contractor over the timeline period where you agree not to pay the next payment until the portion agreed is finished. That will motivate them to stay on time.

Also, ask for a breakdown of estimates for both labor and parts and ask them to break out EACH item and each room. That way when you get multiple quotes (which I highly recommend) you can easily compare it from Contractor A to Contractor B.

Also, I'd take the time to ask them for multiple references for other similar sized projects. Any good architect/contractor will have a big portfolio with photos of before/during/after that you can evaluate and then talk to the owner of that property.

Have a very good contract together in PESOS and an agreement that cost overruns will be held to X% (if anything at all). Some will try and make excuses how products went up. So anything you need to purchase like fixtures you might want to buy those on the front end and ask for the receipts.

Thank you all for your thorough replies.
I have been pursuing the various leads that this thread has presented me.
I will post back on any results and/or experiences.

Thanks again and please feel free to let the contacts keep coming.

Back