Looking for a really good english teacher

Davidglen77

Registered
OK some of you may find this funny but I am looking for a really good english teacher. Not for me of course, but for my partner. He's 45 years old, I would call him an advanced beginner, he recently finished a set of small group classes at Berlitz and now wants to move on to private lessons.

I will be doing the selection process. I am not going to be too picky, but I do have some requirements:

1) North American or Canadian Native English Speaker
2) Teaching experience with adults and at least 2 references
3) Someone who is going to be in Argentina for a while at least 6 months
4) Someone who is available tuesday and friday evenings, after 5PM. Looking to do 2 sessions per week for 1.5 hours each - total 3 hours per week at our
place in Congreso.

Please send me your contact info and requested hourly rate.

Thanks

Davidglen77 said:
I will be doing the selection process. I am not going to be too picky, but I do have some requirements:

Any preference for the eye color or this parameter is flexible?

coli86 said:
Any preference for the eye color or this parameter is flexible?

I actually love purple or red eyes myself, but of course any color will do :p

I am not going to be too picky, but I do have some requirements:

Hmmm, why so picky to start with, in your words. Canadian spelling is closer to Brit, and North American (I assume you mean Yank) is also a corrupted form of the English Language. If you want to use correct grammar you are f****d. I used to be an English teacher in BA a long time ago, and it really sucked. Teaching English is a sad and really underpaid job, especially when it is your native language. The language institutes here generally give low wages, so how likely are you to luck upon a quality teacher. The teachers generally have to pay for their own time-consuming travel throughout the city, often getting lost, and get cancellations at the last minute. Somewhere along the line, someone will pocket MOST of the cash that you pay out for the lesson. I could say a lot more obviously, and feel sorry for the poor expats having to do this job. Right now I am solvent but hey, I feel sorry for those expats who have to do this job to survive.

Markgeezer said:
I am not going to be too picky, but I do have some requirements:

Hmmm, why so picky to start with, in your words. Canadian spelling is closer to Brit, and North American (I assume you mean Yank) is also a corrupted form of the English Language. If you want to use correct grammar you are f****d. I used to be an English teacher in BA a long time ago, and it really sucked. Teaching English is a sad and really underpaid job, especially when it is your native language. The language institutes here generally give low wages, so how likely are you to luck upon a quality teacher. The teachers generally have to pay for their own time-consuming travel throughout the city, often getting lost, and get cancellations at the last minute. Somewhere along the line, someone will pocket MOST of the cash that you pay out for the lesson. I could say a lot more obviously, and feel sorry for the poor expats having to do this job. Right now I am solvent but hey, I feel sorry for those expats who have to do this job to survive.

Ok now, let's get our panties out of a bunch, it's uncomfortable and you are gonna end up with a big ol' red scaly rash on the inside of your thighs.
Anyway, my partner is a doctor, and his professional guides are all books printed in North America, yes YANK land to make use of your reference and we tried with british english, which sounds very lovely especially when we go for afternoon tea, and eat biscuits with clotted cream, HOWEVER, north american english is what the need is, and we are willing to pay a fair hourly rate for someone good. Whether or not teaching english is a good idea workwise I am not going to get into, but there are obviously a good number of people doing it and surviving. I am not going to delve into the particulars and injustices they may face. My grandparents worked nights at a factory when they immigrated to the United States back in the 1960s, rode the subway at night and saved their money to get ahead, hopefully nobody criticed them for doing this as it was very low pay $1 dollar per hour back then. We bought an english course with lots of books and videos and all of the skits were in british english and while they were very pleasing to the ear, my partner had to deal with not understanding the teachers at Berlitz when he was sent there for classes as the teachers were north american. And then the spelling issue, cheque instead of check, colour instead of color and so on and so on. Anyway chill out, relax, tranquilizate, as nobody should be taking this so personally, way too much drama for something like this reeeelaxxxx and cheers dude!

Back