Looking for economics professors, and/or people who have exchanged $ on blue market

Huxley1234

Registered
Anyone have any friends with economics background in or familiar with Argentina? Also, have any of you ever done the blue market trading $USD for peso (i,e, gone down Florida, met a man, and done the swap)?

I am working on a radio piece about the blue market exchange. Anyone who has any stories or expertise about this, I'd love to hear from you.

Regards and thanks for all your help!

HenryNisental said:
you can contact me, i have done it several times.
4687-1604 henry

thanks - unfortunately I am not in BA a the moment and I am out of the country. Would you mind sharing your experiences with me via PM or here on the thread?

Was it totally safe? Any problems? What kind of rate did you receive?

I'm too scared to go down to Florida, but I have a guy that I can call and he brings the money to the office lol not quite the Florida rate but close.

You'll find scurrency traders in discreet offices ("cuevas" caves what a horrible epithet) all around the city and burbs, not just Florida. That street is a cesspool and the arbolitos or cuevas there are not worse than their leather trading counterparts.

I've been to regular cuevas, to simple kiosk or restaurant cuevas, rapipago cuevas, and even to religious cuevas (money changers not inside the temple, but close enough).

The blue market (neither white or black) is so representative of the Argentine National Character which dwells in a muddy compromise, but refuses to call itself grey (much like the brown river is called Silver, or Color de Leon). Henceforth, Blue!

The Brown or Moreno Dollar is another story.

I think the asking for rate is quite funny

Espera, cuanto dolars queres cambiar? Espera, que precio esta buscando?

Chau :)

Then get to the next guy who pays about 10 peso more :)

Does anybody red/know estimates about the total market for the blue dollar?

If I look at what's happening in calle Florida, it can't be a big market

Back