Looking for feedback on "Slingbox"

ray_minnick

Registered
I'll be moving down there shortly. I was wondering if anyone is currently using or has used Slingbox down there to watch live US tv. Anyone have any issues with it, or did it work smoothly for you? I'm a huge Philadelphia sports fan, and don't want to miss any Eagles/Flyers/Phillies games. Also, if you have used it, were you able to hook it up to your tv without difficulty? If Slingbox didn't work for you, do you suggest any alternatives?

I just upgraded to the Slingbox Pro HD a month ago and watched the UM/Notre Dame this past weekend and it was great! The previous Slingbox Solo I had did not work very well. This one projected a great picture on my 42" TV. I do also have Fibertel Evolution's 30 Mb service in Buenos Aires, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. If you have a slower connection speed here you might have problems...

@ Sleuth,

Fibertel's evolution good enough for all internet TV needs?

Do not leave home without it: slingbox.

Use it with ipad and Appletv. Also, Boxee Box has an app i hear is good. All in the band width as others have said.

Been using Slingbox since 2006, mainly for live TV, and DVR'd news and a few shows (get the rest via iTunes). Works really well, so long you (a) have a good internet upload rate back where the Slingbox is connected and a fast download rate where you watch it.

Connecting the box to your cable/satellite system is as easy as connecting a DVD player or similar. To watch it on the other end, you connect via a web browser with a plug in, or an app on your mobile/pad device. If your computer has HDMI/DVI out you can easily connect it to a TV and view the stream full screen on a flat screen TV.

I seem to remember reading that Slingbox requires connection to a tv in the US?

Ceviche said:
@ Sleuth,

Fibertel's evolution good enough for all internet TV needs?

Ehh... It's much better than before, especially with buffering of Internet videos, but I do find that watching HD quality content can still be an issue. I will say that my torrent downloads are really fast and that is the main way I watch shows.

jeff1234 said:
I seem to remember reading that Slingbox requires connection to a tv in the US?

Yep, it does. You'll need a cable box and Internet connection. There are a number of Slingbox hosting solutions where you can rent one. PM me if you want to try mine with a view-only password. I do not use it much more than for college football and some Sunday games.

Sleuth said:
Yep, it does. You'll need a cable box and Internet connection. There are a number of Slingbox hosting solutions where you can rent one. PM me if you want to try mine with a view-only password. I do not use it much more than for college football and some Sunday games.

Thanks for the offer...can I ask what it costs?
I'm getting about 20 channels now on USTVnow for about $44/moUSD with a dvr.
There are occaissional glitches but its generally a good service. To step up to their 500 channels HD service would cost me about $175 USD

Back