looking for good bread

hugobugo

Registered
Hey,

does anybody know where to get good bread in Buenos Aires. Actually i am really missing good sourdough bread.

Thanks !

As I posted in the "Why is bread so expensive?" thread:

"I am very surprised to be able to say this, but the bread from one bakery in Punta Alta is almost as good as the best I ever found in Paris or San Francisco (crust, texture, and flavor weighted equally)."

Fortunately, it's delivered to a despensa about one kilometer from my house six days a week (I live ten kilometers from the bakery). It's too bad bread this good isn't available in CF.

As for price...$2,00 per loaf (long baugette or pan de campo). The price increased recently for the first time in two years (by 33%).

Actually there is PRETTY good bread, I mean it's not like New York City, like Zabar's or Eli's bakery, but try HAUSBROT http://www.hausbrot.com/

I personally make my own bread, after 5 years, I produce a fairly good quality product myself, if I may say so.......

Attachments

• DSCN1523.jpg
    DSCN1523.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 47
Davidglen77 said:
Actually there is PRETTY good bread, I mean it's not like New York City, like Zabar's or Eli's bakery, but try HAUSBROT http://www.hausbrot.com/

I personally make my own bread, after 5 years, I produce a fairly good quality product myself, if I may say so.......

You should start a business selling bread David those look great!

Last time i tried to make bread it ended up like a brick, i think i need to buy a breadmaker.

scotttswan said:
You should start a business selling bread David those look great!

Last time i tried to make bread it ended up like a brick, i think i need to buy a breadmaker.

They are great breads, wonderful ingredients, wheat flour, white flour, yeast, honey, brown sugar, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, wheat germ, oatmeal, olive oil, salt, and water. All hand kneaded and dough risen over 12 hours. Bake in oven with a pizza pan full of water to produce steam while you bake the bread at a low to medium temperature, this will keep the bread fairly soft in the middle and make the crust chewy. Commercial ovens all have steam injection, that is why commercial bread is soft, and of course they put a lot of dough conditioners which I don't want to eat. After all these years here I have what I consider to be the perfect recipe, my partner and I love it!

$500 pesos gets you a Top House bread making machine. Three hours for a slow basic recipe - 1 1/2 hours for fast recipe. Two minutes to pour the ingredients in the machine. We made some tonight for an expat dinner we do - it came out marvelously well. Piping hot bread just in time to serve with dinner. Mmmmm.

And BTW Davidglen - I wasn't trying to take away from your bread recipe :) I'd love to learn to make bread some day, but for now the machine route for some of us is just good enough here.

ElQueso said:
And BTW Davidglen - I wasn't trying to take away from your bread recipe :) I'd love to learn to make bread some day, but for now the machine route for some of us is just good enough here.

Estimado El Queso - I didn't think for a minute that you intended to take away from my bread recipe - I've used bread machines before as well with excellent results myself. I am just one of those people that like to do certain things the old fashioned way.

I personally don't like Hausbrot at all. It is so dense it's a lethal weapon. (And why the "German" name? It has nothing whatsoever to so with German bread.)

Back