Looking for suggestions regarding presents to take to the UK.

UK Man

Registered
Hallebloodylujah....after nearly three years since our last visit the wife and I are having a well earned holiday back in the UK later this year. Trouble is, I'm really stumped as to what we can buy to give as presents to family and friends. Any ideas?

Hallebloodylujah....after nearly three years since our last visit the wife and I are having a well earned holiday back in the UK later this year. Trouble is, I'm really stumped as to what we can buy to give as presents to family and friends. Any ideas?
Dulce de Leche never fails with children and, usually, their parents as well. Unfortunately a large jar or two or three is heavy lifting. We always had a terrible time coming up with "Argentine" gifts. It is hard to find even a decent t-shirt with Argentine iconography. Jewelry from one of the fairs is nice, but most jewelry is pretty much the same wherever you go in the world. Mates? Super cool, but who drinks the Argentine national drink in your family or wants to learn? Boleadoras? Made the mistake once of buying one for myself. Leather goods? Who knows Aunt Tilley's size? And so on. Good luck - I hope others can offer some good advice (I too need it).

Last edited:
Go to a good wine shop and buy some beautiful bottles from small bodegas of Malbec.
Nancy

Dulce de Leche never fails with children and, usually, their parents as well. Unfortunately a large jar or two or three is heavy lifting. We always had a terrible time coming up with "Argentine" gifts. It is hard to find even a decent t-shirt with Argentine iconography. Jewelry from one of the fairs is nice, but most jewelry is pretty much the same wherever you go in the world. Mates? Super cool, but who drinks the Argentine national drink in your family or wants to learn? Boleadoras? Made the mistake once of buying one for myself. Leather goods? Who knows Aunt Tilley's size? And so on. Good luck - I hope others can offer some good advice (I too need it).

I think your post nicely sums up what drove me to post this in the first place.Over the years we've already given the most obvious ones like fancy mates which only end up being dust gathering ornaments cursed by their recipients. Done the dulce de leche in all its forms....Havanna Alfajores has to be the most overrated souvenir going. Leather goods of decent quality have now become far too expensive to give away so that's a definite no no.

I like the hand carved salad servers I found at street fairs. The tops are birds and animals. Beautifully made. Most people eat salad. Everyone I have given them love them. The least expensive pairs I found at the Feria Mataderos.

Go to a good wine shop and buy some beautiful bottles from small bodegas of Malbec.
Nancy

Wine always goes down well but there's just too much faffing about involved having to carry the stuff. My family and friends aren't wine buffs so wouldn't appreciate the quality anyway. :)

Unfortunately in these times there is little here that we bring back to the UK with us. Wine no doubt is cheaper here, but apa rt from that, maybe some Tango tat. I can think of little else

Unfortunately in these times there is little here that we bring back to the UK with us. Wine no doubt is cheaper here, but apa rt from that, maybe some Tango tat. I can think of little else

Got to agree....it's now empty suitcases to the UK full ones on the return. Apart from weekly essentials I buy very little here as the quality doesn't match the prices.
Think I'll pass on the tango tat suggestion. :D

Back